• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJJ in a real fight

I could always try the James T. Kirk double-foot kick to the chest, followed by a fall to the ground. :D

There you go, Baron! Sacrifice your body! :lol:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wondered what martial art that was. That, and their double-fist strike like a two-handed backhand in tennis. :D

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Good call on both counts.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 3 months later...

Of course its not favorable to fight more than one person, but somtimes there is just no other option. I heard one person say dont pick those fights.... well you shouldnt pick any fight, anytime, if you can leave the situation, even if its only one person but with saying that.... I currently take Sil Lum Kungfu and we train all the time to fight multiple opponents.....It is actually incorperated in all our forms at some point. I mean what good is a style if it doesnt teach it... I mean most people get jumped by more than one person.

Of course its not favorable to fight more than one person, but somtimes there is just no other option. I heard one person say dont pick those fights.... well you shouldnt pick any fight, anytime, if you can leave the situation, even if its only one person but with saying that.... I currently take Sil Lum Kungfu and we train all the time to fight multiple opponents.....It is actually incorperated in all our forms at some point. I mean what good is a style if it doesnt teach it... I mean most people get jumped by more than one person.

I agree. If you are unlucky enough to be faced with a group of people who are becoming aggressive towards you etc then it can be extremely difficult to diffuse this kind of situation. While your calming one person, another may be getting more aggressive or egging the others on. This is where pre-contact positioning, effective pre-emption and mobile footwork come into play.

Its interesting to see how many people say that you cant defend against multiple attackers or that their style never trains for it. IMO if you arnt dedicating some of your time to training against multiple attackers you are missing a big piece of the self defense puzzle.

One thing I have found out is that even if you train in these scenarios and "lose," you are still learning valuable information.

Exactly. One of the most important parts is the de-brief afterwards. Talk to your training partners and ask what they saw and what they would have done differently etc. Its better to lose and learn in training then to lose when it counts.

• 4 months later...
Its interesting to see how many people say that you cant defend against multiple attackers or that their style never trains for it. IMO if you arnt dedicating some of your time to training against multiple attackers you are missing a big piece of the self defense puzzle.

I've never understood that myself. We don't train very often in it, but we do go as much as 5 v 1 at times. As a matter of fact, my next to last test for 3rd we spent about 45 minutes rotating turns in the center of 5 v 1 and 3 v 1. It wasn't full contact, but more about positioning, movement around attackers to keep from getting pinned, keeping the majority of them at bay by keeping the one you've engaged between you, etc.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.