BJJ in a real fight

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get into that kind of situation is the best self defense but it could happen. Maybe walking to your car after a late night. The best thing to do is to be standing up. Going to the ground would be suicidal.

The best way to deal with multiple attackers is one at a time. You line them up and never end up in the middle. You always have somebody between you and the next guy in line.

To be honest, no art is all that effective against multiple attackers. Groundfighting or standup, it is going to be a chore to deal with more than one attacker, not matter what style you study.

I agree with stonecrusher69. Once you are on the ground, you're an easy target for the other attackers. At that point it would be best to run.

This is true, but if you are fighting one, and the other grabs you from behind, you could end up there anyways.

everyone's assumption is that a bjj guy WANTS to go to the ground. If you have ever learned gracie self defense, for example, it does not involve groundwork unless absolutely necessary. It's mainly wrestling and judo type takedowns, throws and escapes.

I have the Gracie Self-Defense book, and you are correct. The case is using standing grappling to control the opponent, or using standing grappling counters to get out of a hold or headlock. Whenever their is a takedown, it involves the opponent ending on the ground, with the defender usually still standing. They also monopolized the use of the classic judo hip throw. It was the most common form of takedown in the book, I felt.

I've also seen the self defense book by the Gracie's,but I don't believe they really teach.I been to a a gracie and seen a few of it;s students and what they where learning was not stand up fighting at all.It wass all ground work.Perhaps in Brazl they do train that way,but here its all geared for competion.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

I've also seen the self defense book by the Gracie's,but I don't believe they really teach.I been to a a gracie and seen a few of it;s students and what they where learning was not stand up fighting at all.It wass all ground work.Perhaps in Brazl they do train that way,but here its all geared for competion.

considering that I train GJJ....

it's something all of us learn as beginners at my school, alongside with groundwork. However, considering that we are mainly a competition school, after beginner stages, the self defense part is not emphasized as much. A bjj match starts standing though, so we still train and work the same takedowns and throws we learned in the self defense portion.

By "here" are you saying New Jersey or the entire US? Because self defense is the number one concern where I train Gracie BJJ. Ground work is, by far, the largest component trained. However, we work leg kicks, jabs and crosses, as well as closing the distance safely. To say you've read a book and you don't believe the stuff is taught is a little silly. Your sum experience is a seminar and watching a couple of students. That would be like me buying a Wing Chun book and saying you don't really learn that stuff because I don't see anyone doing it in a couple of classes.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

The Gracie Self-Defense book is a different philosophy from the other books, and from what you normally see of BJJ, because the most covered aspect of the art form is its competition. After all, the UFC competition is what made it famous. Therefore, it would appear that it is sport. However, the art does have much more to offer, and if you were interested in learning self-defense scenarios, then I am sure you could learn them at a BJJ school.

I think some make the same assumption about Taekwondo, because the only exposure it gets is the National/International competition. You can still learn good self-defense at these schools as well.

By "here" are you saying New Jersey or the entire US?

NO I met from NJ and NY where I'm from.I know a few gracie guys and we sometimes train in the part in NY.He told me they work mostly all ground work and what I've seen so far looks to be true.I'm sure other BJJ can train differently but that's what I've seen so far alone with a bout 10 BJJ guys I've come across. I have not seen any self defense from BJJ so far.its mostly for competition.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"