• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Kata.

ff100

Honestly, I always thought it the other way around, because I find many technique's in Kobubo, that when taking the weapon out of your hand translate almost perfectly into empty hand techniques. But I guess the argument holds some water, because if you think about it, who would want to fight a Samurai with nothing in your hands to block/parry his sword with (when considering the age and purpose of the creation of Karate/Kobudo).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started learning the tonfa, my sensei had me using them with the kihon katas. It was a great way to get used to handling the weapons without having to worry about learning too many new moves, and it gave me something I could work on at home without fear of developing bad habits.

I think this is a good idea, but I also think it traslates easier with some weapons than with others. The sais and tonfas are great because of how they are held, and punching motions can easily be translated into stabs/strikes. The tonfa is also great because of the blocking aspect that the weapon allows.

However, when it comes to more complex weapons, like the sword, and two handed weapons, such as the bo, I don't think the translations are that ready-made.

The bo definitly transfers, it's part of why it's such a good beginner weapon, but yes, not all weapons transfer.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

The bo definitly transfers, it's part of why it's such a good beginner weapon, but yes, not all weapons transfer.

You know, its really fun to learn the other weapons, but I really love the bo. I think its the only Kobudo weapon that I could really use in today's day in age in a real situation, because you can turn so many different everyday items into a bo. Plus I like the reach advantage over my opponent.

I meant to qoute you but I have no idea how :D ::

Interesting video. It reminds me of a Sensei I have from Japan. He was a live-in (Deshi) student for 15 years. He was trained in all his weapons and empty hand stuff for the first 5 or 6 years. Then they began teaching kata and how it applied to the stuff he learned. His bunkai was vast. He always had movements from a kata that could be applied to each weapon along with several empty hand things. He was very knowledgable. Great guy.

End qoute.

When you say he studied empty hand and weapon stuff for five to six years, what do you mean exactly? Just kihon and he didn't study any kata till after that? What empty hand stuff did he study before kata?

What he is saying can also apply to Wing Chun as well as many other kung fu styles. The forms of Wing Chun have weapons applications as well. This does not mean that Wing Chun is not suitable for unarmed training/combat.

I believe that the sensei in question is just looking into a "new" angle in the enchant art of making $$$$$$ and that is my opinion.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

I'm not so sure I buy into what he's talkin about. I've always understood that weapons are nothing more than an extention of our bodies, and that every hand technique is something that can be applied to weapons work. NOT the other way around.

I meant to qoute you but I have no idea how :D ::

Interesting video. It reminds me of a Sensei I have from Japan. He was a live-in (Deshi) student for 15 years. He was trained in all his weapons and empty hand stuff for the first 5 or 6 years. Then they began teaching kata and how it applied to the stuff he learned. His bunkai was vast. He always had movements from a kata that could be applied to each weapon along with several empty hand things. He was very knowledgable. Great guy.

End qoute.

When you say he studied empty hand and weapon stuff for five to six years, what do you mean exactly? Just kihon and he didn't study any kata till after that? What empty hand stuff did he study before kata?

Yes. As it's taught within the Yagu shinkage ryu, which is Japanese in history, not Okinawan, they learn all their techniques first. This is to include all the staff weapons, which is where they start, then the weapons that are mixed with blade and staff (such as a kama). Then the sword.

Of course empty hand was taught in there somewhere too, but it was all in regard to application. But it was secondary to training in things like fighting wearing armor and so forth.

Kata was taught and then related to the techniques he had already learned. In learning this way kata was more used to train the spirit, and the repetitive motions that occur in the arts. He has bunkai notebooks that are hundreds of pages long on each kata. An amazing wealth of knowledge.

Keep in mind that he was training in a classical martial family. Everything he learned was geared toward its use on the battlefield. Not today's streets. Don't get me wrong, his self defense is impecible, but it's a byproduct of what he learned over there.

If you're interested in more info on him, I can get you a website. You would be able to contact him from that point on.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

If you're interested in more info on him, I can get you a website. You would be able to contact him from that point on.

I would like to know more, please. The web site would be very helpfull. Thank you.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

http://www.seishinkan.com/seishin/seishink.htm

This is a link to the seishinkan site.

http://www.seishinkan.com/seishin/sskstaff/johnvioluchideshi01.html

This is a link to another part of the site that has some of his writings from his experiences as an Uchi Deishi. I believe you have to email him to get more info beyond what is on the site. There is a ton of stuff on the site. Enjoy.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

OK I've had some time to review it now. I'd like to mention that it was WAY too short for him to express his opinions clearly. All we get is a short few sentences and that's that. You'd need to review the entire thing.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu