• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Kata.

ff100

I came across this when looking at another link from another post and thought you might like to see it :D

I wonder which 8 kata he is referring to, any ideas?

For the record I personally dont go along with his theory but maybe theres truth in it somewhere!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came across this when looking at another link from another post and thought you might like to see it :D

I wonder which 8 kata he is referring to, any ideas?

For the record I personally dont go along with his theory but maybe theres truth in it somewhere!

Interesting video. It reminds me of a Sensei I have from Japan. He was a live-in (Deshi) student for 15 years. He was trained in all his weapons and empty hand stuff for the first 5 or 6 years. Then they began teaching kata and how it applied to the stuff he learned. His bunkai was vast. He always had movements from a kata that could be applied to each weapon along with several empty hand things. He was very knowledgable. Great guy.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Very interesting. Another sensai that is applying the same kata to both weapons and hands. Maybe weapons are real extensions of the hands as I heard said before...

Thanks for the information.

I can't check out the video until later, but for now based on the initial posts I would have to agree that applications to kata & basic technqiues do have weapons options. The kata Jitte is an excellent example.

Edited by cathal

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

There's also a demonstration of the same guy and his students performing sanshin with sai. It's pretty cool. One student performs it with empty hands while he simultaneously performs it with one sai and a third student performs it with two sai.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

That is very interesting, but I don't think I buy into his theories too much. But, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

agree, i think any kata can be performed with a short weapon, I think Hohen soken once said that they used to do Kusanku kata with hair pin.

as for 8 katas he mentioned i could see

Sanchin

Seisan (naha version)

chatan yara Kusanku

When I started learning the tonfa, my sensei had me using them with the kihon katas. It was a great way to get used to handling the weapons without having to worry about learning too many new moves, and it gave me something I could work on at home without fear of developing bad habits.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

When I started learning the tonfa, my sensei had me using them with the kihon katas. It was a great way to get used to handling the weapons without having to worry about learning too many new moves, and it gave me something I could work on at home without fear of developing bad habits.

I think this is a good idea, but I also think it traslates easier with some weapons than with others. The sais and tonfas are great because of how they are held, and punching motions can easily be translated into stabs/strikes. The tonfa is also great because of the blocking aspect that the weapon allows.

However, when it comes to more complex weapons, like the sword, and two handed weapons, such as the bo, I don't think the translations are that ready-made.

Weapons are just the extension of your arms. I believe that many kata may be interpreted as either hand forms or weapons forms, but some more advanced kata, I believe are just hand forms that are not intended for use of weapons.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.