• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WTF tournament gloves

Konoko

Do you think that wearing gloves for WTF TKD is a good idea?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that wearing gloves for WTF TKD is a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

What do all you WTF stylists think about the new gloves that you have to wear for tournaments?

I havent had to use them yet as they are not required in NZ yet.

What do they look/feel like? From the pics on the net I have seen they look almost like MMA style gloves

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What do all you WTF stylists think about the new gloves that you have to wear for tournaments?

I havent had to use them yet as they are not required in NZ yet.

What do they look/feel like? From the pics on the net I have seen they look almost like MMA style gloves

From what I understand, while they LOOK like MMA gloves, there really isn't much padding in them. I haven't seen them, so I can't really say.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I guess I have not seen them yet. We just wear the cloth covered pads, and that is all. If there are new ones out, I have not seen them yet.

here is a link to see what they look like

http://www.tkd.net/store/package-deals.html

p.s someone in my school has the foot pads and they linda look wierd and seem to have littel pading

Huh, I don't notice any padding on that gear. Why wear it? Just go old school, with no pads!

We've started wearing them in my TKD school, along with the foot pads. They're not compulsory (yet) but I bought a pair of the foot pads. They don't provide much protection but they're better than nothing. I have very thin skin on the tops of my feet and am regularly black-and-blue after a sparring session, so the pads help protect my feet a little. One downside of them is that they are hard to get on and off.

I've not tried the hand pads yet but a few people at my school have a set. Personally, if it encourages more punching in WTF TKD then that is a good thing IMO. It is a very underused tecnique in WTF style sparring, but one that can score a vital point or two when needed.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Personally, if it encourages more punching in WTF TKD then that is a good thing IMO. It is a very underused tecnique in WTF style sparring, but one that can score a vital point or two when needed.

I agree! Perhaps it will get the judges to start scoring punches as well. Many competitors probably don't realize how much energy they could save if they punched when they were in close.

I agree here...one step closer to a rule change about hands!

8)

Maybe it would get some of the competitors to get their hands up to block more?!

• 4 weeks later...

They whole point of those gloves and odd foot pads is to eventually put electronic sensors inside of them. This is what I've heard. Then the scoring will be more like in fencing rather than with the joystick system. This'll be good for people who compete in TKD after they have extensive experience in more punch oriented martial arts, which would be pretty much any other martial art. Sounds good to me

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War