• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Remembering Your Training

elbows_and_knees makes a good point about entering an MMA competition, if it would only be one time in our careers. That one experience would show us so much about ourselves, that we could then focus more on how to improve. It would also show what works and what doesn't.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for alot of people, martial arts isnt about training to fight. its fitness and fun rather than self defence.

my guess is that the idea of a confrontation frightens him and he just froze up.

could happen to anyone regardless of their grade.

Now you use head for something other than target.

I joined MA for fun and fitness also. Self defense is a bonus. However, my reaction time to anything coming in at me is quickly done without thinking, even outside of the dojo when someone is just messing around and I am not really paying attention, I can respond immediately. Of course, it is with good control and I do not follow through with my strikes. But, maybe this is how your friend should be tested. Do sparring drills as mentioned previously where he has to quickly respond to those attacking. I think it eventually becomes muscle memory and he will learn to react without freezing up.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but i'll say what I have to, please comment. While in class today, a 5th Kyu told me he was beaten up in a fight yesterday, I asked him what happened, he said he just forgot all of his training and the fear got to him. Me being a 2nd Kyu and in a few fights, I didn't know how he did that. In a fight I can always remember my training and take control, why couldn't he? He only told me because we're friends and he didn't want to be embarassed in front of the dojo.

Do you guys think it was because i'm a higher rank? Is there a method to remember your training? I'm in Kyokushin and if anyone else is you know training can be tough and rigorous..I don't see how he'd forget his training. I meditate frequently, I don't think he does, could that be it?? Just looking for answers/opinons.

I think meditation helps a lot. I medidate 4-6 times a week

One More Time

There are, as usual, a physical explaination and a mental explaination. In this case, it's some of each.

Physically, because you're 3 kyu ahead of him, you have

A) Studied more techniques and know more kata, so you have a lot more moves at your disposal. Being stuck with little more than just the basics is obviously a problem.

B) You've probably gotten not only your more advanced moves down, but the basics would be more engrained into your muscle memory.

Mentally, also because you're 3 kyu ahead of him, you

A) Are more used to those sort of situations, even if you both had your first fight yesterday, you would obviously do better, because you would be less frightened by something like that.

B) You would be more confident. With a difference like that in your ranks, you would be more confident in your physical shape, as well as your ability to handle yourself.

There are, as usual, a physical explaination and a mental explaination. In this case, it's some of each.

A) Studied more techniques and know more kata, so you have a lot more moves at your disposal. Being stuck with little more than just the basics is obviously a problem.

B) You've probably gotten not only your more advanced moves down, but the basics would be more engrained into your muscle memory.

A) Are more used to those sort of situations, even if you both had your first fight yesterday, you would obviously do better, because you would be less frightened by something like that.

B) You would be more confident. With a difference like that in your ranks, you would be more confident in your physical shape, as well as your ability to handle yourself.

I think that these statements are fairly generalized, and don't necessarily lend themselves to the proper answers. Case in point, my younger brother has not practiced MA for many years now, but I have continued. However, he has a different mentality and mindset than I do. He likes to fight; I do not. He is not afraid to get in someone's face, and tell them how it is. I, on the other hand, am more laid back, and would be less likely to do this. He has less training, yet he feels more comfortable in a fight scenario than I do. I believe that it really comes down to who you are, and what your personality is. Rank is not necessarily an indicator of fight ability. Fighting ability and experience is.

Physically,

A. having more techniques at your disposal is irrelevant. See my post above about what happens during the adrenaline dump - you forget everything that is not ingrained. In other words, back to basics in most cases. The guy who knows 8 strikes and 2 kicks is just as well off as the guy who know 15 strikes and 11 kicks. That also has nothing to do with being more or less frightened. That is purely an EXPERIENCE thing and has nothing to do with how many techniques you know. If you REALLY think having nothing more than basics is a problem, I urge you to fight a boxer or thai boxer. Have you ever heard of K.I.S.S.? It stands for Keep It Simple, Stupid. There is wisdom in those words.

B. He probably wouldn't even use the advanced moves.

Mentally,

A. Training does not make one accustomed to those situations. BEING IN those situations is what makes you accustomed to them. I can tell you all day how to drive, but what happens the first time you get on the road? I can go over football plays with you all day, but what happens the first time you put on pads and get in a game?

B. Rank has nothing to do with physical shape or confidence. A lower rank guy who was on his school's swim team would likely be in better shape than 90% of the people at your dojo. Confidence is an individual thing.

While in class today, a 5th Kyu told me he was beaten up in a fight yesterday, I asked him what happened, he said he just forgot all of his training and the fear got to him. Me being a 2nd Kyu and in a few fights, I didn't know how he did that. In a fight I can always remember my training and take control, why couldn't he?

Like your friend told you, it was because of panic. When you panic, you stop thinking. You fall into a "flee or fight" state. I remember being told that police officers use a technique for preventing them to fall into that state when they do car chases (it is a very dangerous situation). Anybody correct me if i'm wrong, but this is what I remember :

When you fall in flee or fight state, your throat becomes dry. So during the whole ordeal, the officer must keep his throat moist (swallow his saliva) to keep his body out of that state. Controlling your breathing should help a lot too, but when you fight, that may prove to be a problem...

As for what your friend should do is, like everybody said, keep training. But he should also consider attending a good self-defense class. In a _good_ self-defense class, you don't learn how to fight, you learn how to react.

Well, just my thoughts.

EclecticFighter.com, for all your makiwara & Muk Jong needs!