• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

non-martial workouts

Yoga has been great in getting my kicks higher and my legs stronger. I was amazed at how much a good workout can kick your butt. I also practice tai chi for ballance and breathing.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do a bit of running and biking, as well as a cardio boxing workout on the heavybag (without any real boxing training). I have also done yoga a few times to try and increase flexibility.

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

I do the following everyday at home (well okay, I rest one or two days a week) :

- Naked Warrior workout (one-legged squats + one arm pushups)

- Janda situps

- various exercices for the back, but I am starting to consider the deadlift seriously

- gripper for the hands

- Makiwara striking (a real traditional one, not the cheap pads sold everywhere)

plus I use the forced relaxation technique to increase my split :)

EclecticFighter.com, for all your makiwara & Muk Jong needs!

Not me. I just snowboard in the winter. It is a good workout, though. Good cardio hiking back up a snowy mountian .... sorry folks, that didn't help.

Anyways, I was thinking about doing yoga. What do you guys think for someone with a bum hip and knee?

It would probably help you out. Just make sure you tell the instructor about your current conditions, so that they can work around them.

I can remember reading in an old Black Belt Magazine an article about cross-training martial arts with playing basketball. Improvements in endurance and footwork were discussed, along with some other benefits. I thought it was a good article, and had some unique perspectives to offer. You learn to use your body, keep your feet under you, and move against a resisting opponent.

I have recently thought about trying swimming and/or yoga. I know both would greatly increase my performance in karate. I should quit thinking about it and just get out there and do it. Thanks for this post, it made me realize I have been procrastinating too long.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Does anyone know a good yoga or pilates tape? After reading this thread, I think I would like to try that out but I can't spend the money to go to a yoga studio and also would rather do it at home. Any suggestions?

I don't know about yoga, but as far as Pilates I know one of my family member used to use the Windsor Pilates tapes and she loved them. If your looking for a just good all around work out video, my wife got the Turbo Jam dvd's and she loves them. I thought it was kinda a joke when she first got them, but I tries it a few times with her and I have to admit they are a great workout. They are like a aroebic/kickboxing/capowera based cardio kickboxing dvd set. My sister uses them too and likes them a lot. Hope this helps.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

Does anyone know a good yoga or pilates tape? After reading this thread, I think I would like to try that out but I can't spend the money to go to a yoga studio and also would rather do it at home. Any suggestions?

I don't know about yoga, but as far as Pilates I know one of my family member used to use the Windsor Pilates tapes and she loved them. If your looking for a just good all around work out video, my wife got the Turbo Jam dvd's and she loves them. I thought it was kinda a joke when she first got them, but I tries it a few times with her and I have to admit they are a great workout. They are like a aroebic/kickboxing/capowera based cardio kickboxing dvd set. My sister uses them too and likes them a lot. Hope this helps.

Thanks!! I will try to find that pilates tape and see how it goes. :)

Winsor Pilates really is great, it works to keep you lean. Ive read that the original Pilates helps build your muscles more. I could be wrong but I know he wrote a few books. might look them up...

There is no teacher but the enemy.