• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some really interesting books

Quien

Hello.

Have you used some books about martial arts teaching?

I bought several months ago "Martial Arts Instructor's Desk Reference" and "Teaching Martial Arts", both by Sang H. Kim Ph.D.

The first one is really useful, reviewing everything related to teaching these kind of disciplines, including drills, dealing with children, parents, specific improvement sessions...It is a must-have for every instructor, I think, although a big part of the ideas are known by everyone giving classes. It also includes some gym management chapters that didn't interest me very much since I don't owe a gym.

The second one is quite worse than Desk Reference, since it seems like a schema of the first one.

I am interested in buying some more books if I know they are interesting, but since I live in Spain (sorry for my English), I have to buy it online so I can't have a look on its content before buying (if I could, I'm sure I wouldn't have bought "Teaching Martial Arts").

Have you read anyone? Specially oriented to karate and teaching children, but I accept all kind of recommendations.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd always recommend the master text by Gichin Funakoshi. What do you teach?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Shito Ryu to children at schools. So I want practical books for preparing and improving my lessons. I haven't read the master text, but I suppose it must be a very technical book about karate. I know my style deeply, and I want practical books.

A lot of drills, class advices...In properly karate theory I'm quite well provided I think.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to agree with

Martial Arts Teaching Tales of Power and Paradox: Freeing the Mind, Focusing Chi, and Mastering the Self by Pascal Fauliot

Unfortunately I feel that most of my students are not mentally/spiritually ready to receive these.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.