• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hapkido as a complete MA

hey everyone,

im doin JKD right now and am kind of into MA tradition which JKD doesnt have, so im thinkin about leaving my JKD school and goin to this hapkido school near me. i already went for a free class and liked it because of all the traditional fighting methods, and the bowing and meditation and stuff, and it seems like a well rounded MA. the school teaches hapkido, taekwondo, self defense, pressure points, floor fighting, and weapons. i know JKD teaches a lot of these things too but i want the tradition in my martial arts training. i was wondering wat u all thought about hapkido, TKD and everything else this school teaches as a good, well-rounded MA. will it be effective in the street if i practice it enough?

also, my JKD class is very crouded, meanwhile the HKD school only has like 4 people each class, literally.

so anyway, thanks for the info in advance.

french fri25

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well those are great arts, together or apart. As to will it benefit you if you practice enough, yes it will. In theory if you only knew one technique but practiced it 100 times a day from different angles and to different attacks you would still be ok. Crowding can be a pain but I wouldn't switch to a school just because of smaller class sizes. I went to one HKD school where there were two instructors and two students, including myself, and I was constantly getting hurt there and trying to accomplish things that maybe were doable but might not be prudent for someone of my girth. I finally realized between their demanding regimen and the natural tendency of people to leave martial arts training anyway this was why the class sizes were so small. And, therefore, demonstrated a weakness in their teaching rather than a benefit.

Long Live the Fighters!

As far as using HKD as a street appliable martial arts form, I'd say if it's a good school , and you're a dedicated student, HKD is a very effective style. I looked for a HKD school in my area before I joined my TKD school. My instructor mixes a lot of HKD into our self defence techiques so I have a good idea of what it's about. Unfortunatly I couldn't find a good HKD school, so I checked out my friends TKD school and ended up loving it.

All in all, for street application, you have to find what works for you. JKD didn't work for you, but maybe HKD will. You have to find something that fits you.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

The type of training you receive will be the basis as to whether or not your arts will benefit you on the street. A small class can have disadvantages, because you will become used to all of your partners very quickly, and then you will get set into a pattern, and this stagnates learning. Having larger classes helps to prevent this.

Best of luck with your new school!

well, thanks a lot for all the info. i guess i have to agree with you. i believe that whatever martial art you practice, as long as you practice it hard enough, it will be street effective.

once again, thanks for the info

french fri25

Just make sure that you get to train in some street scenarios, with a resisting partner. That will help you learn how to be effective with your styles.

I think HKD is great, being that it's the style I train most in. :) Try it out for a little while, and see what you think. I personally like traditional aspects of meditation and respect quite a lot, so I can see where you're coming from there.

Cho Dan Hapkidoist and trickster.

I enjoy Hapkido very much. One of the reasons is it's practical uses. At my school we also mix in some Krav Maga. We practice a lot of fighting ,grabs with a resisting partner and street defence with items you would probably have with you ( such as keys, soda bottles, books or pens) and of course your body.

A Black Belt is a White Belt that never gives up.

I enjoy Hapkido very much. One of the reasons is it's practical uses. At my school we also mix in some Krav Maga. We practice a lot of fighting ,grabs with a resisting partner and street defence with items you would probably have with you ( such as keys, soda bottles, books or pens) and of course your body.

I like the sound of your system, especially with the improvised weapons. Very useful stuff, I think.

Thanks bushido_man96. My instructors like to make as many things practical as possible. The Krav Maga parts are very brutal. The improvised weapons are great. Once a year we also have Master Rodemaker come in for a cane seminar and Tactical Hapkido seminar. It's pretty cool.

A Black Belt is a White Belt that never gives up.