• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kata series-JKA shotokan

PlasmaShock

so, okay I'm new, please bear with me.

I thought Shodan was first degree black belt. Why, then, do katas before that have "shodan" in the title?

Shodan just means beginner, or first, or something to that effect. Heian Shodan means "First Step" or something similar to that. Also, the analogy that a black belt is the "beginning" is why the title of Shodan is given.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not affiliated with JKA or any other organization, so it was to my instructors discretion when we learned kata. At 1st kyu, I already knew both Tekki Shodan and Tekki Nidan. At Shodan, I learned Tekki Sandan. It is neat to see how different schools do things.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I thought Shodan was first degree black belt. Why, then, do katas before that have "shodan" in the title?

Shodan just means beginner, or first, or something to that effect. Heian Shodan means "First Step" or something similar to that. Also, the analogy that a black belt is the "beginning" is why the title of Shodan is given.

Oh.. Thanks :)

One More Time

We do not do Tekki Nidan or Tekki Shodan (in fact, we do not use them at all!:lol:) Here is the list;

10th Kyu - Khion

9th - Heian Shodan

8th - Heian Nidan

7th - Heian Sandan

6th - Heian Yondan

5th - Heian Godan

4th - Tekki / Nihanchi

3rd - Bassai Dai

2nd - Empi

1st - Jion, Hangetsu, Kanku Dai, and possibily Jiin.

However, my Sensei is thinking about brining on the Pinan Katas along with the Heian Katas, but he is still thinking about it...

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

Shodan actually means first level. Sho = first, dan= level

Heian Shodan means "peaceful mind, level 1"

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Shodan actually means first level. Sho = first, dan= level

Heian Shodan means "peaceful mind, level 1"

This makes very much sense, thank you. I still have one question though. Sho=first when begining something, but not when counting? First in counting would be ichiban, right? :-?

One More Time

Well, I was half-way there. Not bad for a Korean stylist, I would say!! :lol:

you gotta start karate for a change, you have been in karate section for a long time and know a lot, so just get in , i think you will be perfect for Okinawan Goju ryu.

Well, I was half-way there. Not bad for a Korean stylist, I would say!! :lol:

you gotta start karate for a change, you have been in karate section for a long time and know a lot, so just get in , i think you will be perfect for Okinawan Goju ryu.

That would be great, but there are only two schools were I live. One is the TKD school I attend, and the other is a school called Karate Fitness, but it really isn't a karate style, but a mix of some different forms, including some TKD forms, and they also do some open katas, musical weapons forms, and such like that. They also do quite a bit of fitness training, which would be good, but it isn't all that stylized. I don't think they do much self-defense or bunkai, either.

To answer the original question.... you don't.

The Shitei Kata (Heian Shodan to Heian Godan and Tekki Shodan) are used for 8 kyu to 3 kyu. Sentei kata (Kankudai, Jion, Bassaidai Empi) are used for 2 kyu to Shodan. Thereafter you select your Tokui (favourate) kata.

So now you know what to spot for your next grading. :)

Karate ni sente nashi - There is no first attack in karate