• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A question to Karate instructors

You can difference between teaching bunkai for kids' competitions, and for normal students to understand de concept of a Kata.

For very small young/beginners, it can be difficult for them to assimilate real bunkais, not for the upper body movements but for legs displacement. At that phase of learning, I think you should explain the individual movements while showing them the kata for the first time, so that they don't see it like a dance or a serie of stupid movements. You can use that techniques in prearranged sparring/couples work, but simplifying movements.

With young kids who have practised karate for a time, it can be a good idea to start making them work in more complex bunkais, respecting the original path of the shape. It will be useful for them in order to understand the kata as a whole, and can be a starting point for bunkai competitions.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Do you teach bunkai to the junior (children) students?

Yes, we teach bunkai at all ages and levels

2. Can you give me an idea of how you go about your bunkai practice?

Quite often we'll go through a kata and then go through the bunkai straight after. We'll either go through it in sections (one in heiko dachi ready to apply the bunkai, one in fighting stance to attack) or go through the whole kata applying the bunkai along the way (i.e. one person performs kata & one or more people around that person attack)

3. What is the difference between your "junior" syllabus and "adult" syllabus, if you have this seperation?

There's no difference between adult syllabus and junior syllabus. Only thing is there is a minimum age for shodan (13yrs) and nidan (18yrs)

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

I always teach bunkai when it is relevant. It especially helps when students are strugggling with technique as it sometimes helps to know why you are doing something. We teach application of techniques anyway so what's the difference? Of course there is a limit as to how far you take the bunkai with juniors, just as with some adults.

I like to use guided and self discovery as it makes for a better "a ha moment" when they figure it out themselves. Logical progressions help to increase understanding of the elements of each technique too.

Our junior curriculum (ages 7-12) is one poomse/kata behind the adults and we leave out the take downs and some self-defense techniques. They eventually catch up around Black Belt. Once a student reaches 12 years of age they are transitioned into the adult curriculum.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Thank you, ninjanurse. That is very helpful. In our curriculum, we just have the same sets of forms and one-steps for children and adults.

This is the first school I have taught at that does it this way. I would much prefer one curriculum for all but I do see the merits of it.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

in my school (not an instructor) the only time the junior sylabus differs from the adult sylabus is when going for black belt. juniors have a kind of "probationary" black belt and have to retest when they turn 16.

come to think of it, i dont even know if the sylabus is different. maybe its the same and they have to do it twice.

Nope, it's different syllabus.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• 1 month later...

OK, another question or two about Bunkai.

Do you tend to teach bunkai for each move in the form?

Do you teach it transitioning from one move to the next, for every move, or just a few?

About how much time do you spend on it in class, and how much time to ensure they have it down (i.e., two months worth of bunkai per form before testing)?

I know that everyone will learn differently, and some faster than others. But if you have some guidelines that I could look into, that would be great. I was thinking along the lines of taking maybe a month to get the form down, and then spending the next few months focusing on the bunkai, to get the application process down, and be fluid with the movements.

Thanks a bunch!

We have a preset bunkai for each movement in our katas. The students are responsible for learning the bunkai and the transitions between movements. Then after a few months they're expected to show us a completely different bunkai based on the same techniques, to show us their unique interpretation of the movements.

We work on kata each class, and we work on bunkai once per week. Bunkai sessions can be 10-15 minutes long, sometimes a half hour depending on what we're working with. Once they have it we practice practice practice, etc. until they are super comfortable with it.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

YW of course. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu