• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata and it's importance in the art of karate

Dracula

Where I study, we learn very early in our training a thing called "The Seven Pillars" These pillars all hold up one thached roof, I won't bore you with the details of this philosophy, but the first three are Kihon, Kata, and Kumite. The tao of technique, the tao of forms, and the tao of combat.

The problem with people who argue against kata is that they don't understand what kata is meant to teach. Actually, many people who enjoy kata don't understand what it was meant to teach because it is certainly applicable, and yes can be a relaxing spiritual exersise as well if you practice it that way. It can also be very physically demanding. The things it teaches are strategy, execution, the full possible range of motions in any technique, movement, perception, reading of intentions, just to name a few.

Kumite teaches t's own set of stadards and in many ways 'tao of combat' is a misnomer because kumite is not like combat at all. They are right when they say many techniques in kata are not used in kumite. Thats why you do the kata, because without it you would not learn the techniques. And Kihon has it's own set of principles. You can not be complete in this art without all three. You can be very good at any one of them, but not complete without all of them. If one of the pillars is missing, the roof will cave in. It's human nature to pick a favorite aspect of training, but to be a well rounded warrior we must balance our training in every aspect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In about 8 years of karate, I never understood the importance of kata. I didn't see any useable footwork or techniques anywhere in any of the kata.

In my opinion, the only purposes kata has are demonstration and preservation of tradition. As one of my teachers told me, "if we stop doing it, it ceases to exist."

I agree with other posters that without kata, you aren't doing karate. A martial art is defined by its techniques, training methods, and strategy/philosophy. If you take out a major training method and many techniques, it is no longer the same art.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

I have read these articles, and they do not completely renounce forms training. Rather, these articles talk about what the forms were, what they are now, and how they need to be trained in order to get it closer to what they were meant to be.

Moreover he paints a picture of old Karate masters as refusing students and implying they wanted to keep the training exclusive. This is erroneous as back when the old masters refused potential students it was to make sure the classes were small so as to not attract the attention of the law. Because back then it was illegal to practice, learn, or teach Karate. Those in control of Okinawa did not want the Okinawan people to be able to defend themselves.

Please keep in mind that a man's opinion expressed through writing is just that: a man's opinion. It's up to yourself to decide whether or not you believe it but you must be open-minded enough to take a step back and play devil's advocate. You've also got to be wary of the difference in reading a man's opinion on history versus history itself.

*edit*: Fixed spelling

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

really i think of a kata as exercise for your style of karate.

I used to think this way as well, but now, I know what bunkai is!! :karate: :D I realize how much you can get from forms now as well.

Where I study, we learn very early in our training a thing called "The Seven Pillars" These pillars all hold up one thached roof, I won't bore you with the details of this philosophy, but the first three are Kihon, Kata, and Kumite. The tao of technique, the tao of forms, and the tao of combat.

The problem with people who argue against kata is that they don't understand what kata is meant to teach. Actually, many people who enjoy kata don't understand what it was meant to teach because it is certainly applicable, and yes can be a relaxing spiritual exersise as well if you practice it that way. It can also be very physically demanding. The things it teaches are strategy, execution, the full possible range of motions in any technique, movement, perception, reading of intentions, just to name a few.

Kumite teaches t's own set of stadards and in many ways 'tao of combat' is a misnomer because kumite is not like combat at all. They are right when they say many techniques in kata are not used in kumite. Thats why you do the kata, because without it you would not learn the techniques. And Kihon has it's own set of principles. You can not be complete in this art without all three. You can be very good at any one of them, but not complete without all of them. If one of the pillars is missing, the roof will cave in. It's human nature to pick a favorite aspect of training, but to be a well rounded warrior we must balance our training in every aspect.

Please tell us what the other four pillars are. I don't get bored by philosophy.

One More Time

I find it kind of ironic that this post usually sits right next to "the uselessness of kata" post. I feel kata is necessary, but someone who's good with kata won't necessarily make them a good fighter

There's no place like 127.0.0.1