• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long does it take to get a black belt?

ShotokanTre

My instructor always tells our class that getting a black belt isn't the end of our training, but rather, the beginning. It was only when I finally understood this that I no longer resented him for holding me back. I just wasn't ready when I was younger. I've also improved more as a black belt than I ever did as a colored belt... it really is more than just one more rank.

Exactly! I looked at getting my black belt as just another step in my journey. The information and the improvement in myself and my karate after black belt has been vast. Advancing in rank at this point is not important to me; however, advancing within myself is the key.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My instructor always tells our class that getting a black belt isn't the end of our training, but rather, the beginning. It was only when I finally understood this that I no longer resented him for holding me back. I just wasn't ready when I was younger. I've also improved more as a black belt than I ever did as a colored belt... it really is more than just one more rank.

Exactly! I looked at getting my black belt as just another step in my journey. The information and the improvement in myself and my karate after black belt has been vast. Advancing in rank at this point is not important to me; however, advancing within myself is the key.

I feel the same way now, especially in the last year or so. It doesn't matter anymore to me how many stripes I have on my belt, or where I stand in line. All I want to do is better myself and learn as much as I can.

Apparently a quote from Chojun Miyagi.....

He was speaking to a student who asked about gaining a black belt. Miyagi replied, "If you're good enough, you don't need a black belt and if you aren't good enough then you shouldn't have one!"

I've heard he was not a fan of the belt system but don't quote me that he really said this... :D

In our style we don't even have belts. None. Everyone in the dojo wears a white belt with a white gi or a black belt with a black gi. The color of the gi is just what was in Sensei's closet when they signed up. The newer uniforms are white, but the older ones were thicker and black without the embroidery.

It really is a different feel having no belts or ranks, you never know the skill of who you're sparring and it basically eliminates that corrosive level of pride that comes with that stupid strip of dyed fabric.

When I spoke to him about this system he said: (paraphrasing to an extent) "You're never truely 'finished' with a martial art. People think that a black belt means that they're done with the art, but in reality they've only just begun to understand their art. Our style adapts to every fight, every situation, it's always changing and different for everyone; in your lifetime you will never see an end to your training, one way or another."

It really opened my eyes a bit to how shallow many people's view of 'the belt' is. In my opinion, it does far more harm than good.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

In out school it takes 8-10 years to get a black belt generally. I suppose less is posible with more time avaliable for training.

Rank should not be the primary focus, rather the knowlege that goes with it.

Some quotes from my instructor-

"new rank new rules"

You were a good (insert color) now you are a lousy(insert color).

Frequently a white belt is given with the black to remind them that this is only the start of their training.

When I spoke to him about this system he said: (paraphrasing to an extent) "You're never truely 'finished' with a martial art. People think that a black belt means that they're done with the art, but in reality they've only just begun to understand their art. Our style adapts to every fight, every situation, it's always changing and different for everyone; in your lifetime you will never see an end to your training, one way or another."

It really opened my eyes a bit to how shallow many people's view of 'the belt' is. In my opinion, it does far more harm than good.

Very nice. It is a shame to see students get their black belts, and then start to slow, and eventually walk away, thinking they have done it all, and that it will stick with them.

Unfortunately a very common occurrance...as instructors we try to instill certain values/ideas into our students but not all hit home. One wonders then what their true motivations were and if the belt was truly deserved (in a philisophical/spiritual sense). While lapses in training can occur at any belt level I have found that true students of the art eventually make their way back.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/