• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long does it take to get a black belt?

ShotokanTre

In my school, the average is about 5-8 years depending on how much you train and if sensei thinks you should test. once you hit the purble belts, sensei requires that you train at least 6-8 months before testing for second purple and brown belts. For black belt, he requires that you train at least 15 months before testing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see...5 minutes for the phone call...standard shipping. Probably about a week:)

Seriously though, it should take some time. It's hard to put an exact time frame, but between 7 and 10 years at least. I want to make sure the basic techniques will be retained in muscle memory for a very very long time (15 to 20 years plus).

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I don't think there is a number that you can put on it...

Everyone trains at different rates, and so some people can get there within 5years, while others more...

In Shotokan, you're looking around 6years(min)... But like I said, everyone is different.... I think it goes the same for TKD etc...

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

I would like for people to say that they want to go beyond black belt, instead of hearing that they just want their black belt. Does that make sense?

I'm a little embarrassed to say it, but that's why I stopped. People saying things like that is what made me go back.

That is good, though; at least you went back.

Despite what the belt to the left says (I still don't get that), I am a Sho-Dan in Shudokan Karate Do, and it took me six years to achieve. I think that four to six years is a great time frame to make a Dan. However, I know of other Dojo's in my city that give dans after two or three years. Why would anyone do that? Makes me want to cry... :bawling:

Every one claims that reaching black belt is only the beginning, and that it means you have grasped the basics. If this is the case, then why should it take so long to become a beginner?

This is hard to say. Remember there was a time when colored belts did not exist. White and black. You knew your stuff or you didn't. Personally I'd like to go back to that. But since the issue isn't 'how long till blue' or 'how long till yellow' I'll stick to the topic.

To which I think the answer is still vague. It doesn't matter how long you study if you are capable physically, mentally, and spiritualy of handling the responsibilities of the title 'shodan'. To which unfortunately many pracitioners who wear the dark sash are not ready for it and do not honor what it represents. You must remember that going to a dojo twice a week will not prepare you with the speed that someone training 30 days a month will. Not that any course is wrong. I'll say this...

You are ready to wear a black belt when your understanding of the art is so firm you can begin to teach it, when your understanding of honor is so strong you live it, when you are capable of meeting the demands set by your art for wearing the cloth, and when you no longer have to fight. I'll leave this last one up for interpretation.

Since the journey of the warrior is personal, it really matters very little what anyone else thinks is a 'reasonable time frame'. After all, no matter what style you study someone has probably bashed it. It didn't stop you from studying.

Training varies with each karate-ka (student). You cannot be definitive. The mystery of being a black belt and wearing a black belt cannot be defined in my opinion as they mark two very distinct moments.

The point at which a student wears a black belt is th point where the syllabus is completed for that style. It marks the historic point where the 10 kyu gradings have been completed and the practical study has been learned.

Mine was completed a few years ago and although I have continued to train, 3 times each week week in and week out, I have not the confidence to put myself forward for appraisal. I therefore remain 1st Dan.

The point where a karate-ka is a blackbelt is the point where that student is ready to advance their understanding beyond the confine of the dojo to be able to anticipate in advance of responding to any given situation. It is not necessry to be a karateka with Dan grades of great depth and dreadth of knwoedge as they may not be worthy of being a black belt although that are eminently qualified to wear their high ranking black belt.

Perhaps I am being a little philosophical, I don't know. What I do know is that in the last couple of weeks my confidence in my instructor (4th Dan) for the last 7 years was destroyed in a space of a few seconds when his weakness and failure to support his assistant instructors was evidenced during a grading of 4th, 3rd and 2nd kyu students by his instructor (6th Dan and UK Chief instructor) who was the grading officer on that day. He preferred to accept the grading decision given which was at a polarisation of the criterior which that grading officer himself set at the start of the grading.

He accepted the heirarchy as being rigid and without compromise. There was no place for argument (in the true sense of the word) and the decision was definitive. Brilliant to be so devoted to his instructor and the formality within the grading system yet utterly stupid to be so unsupportive of those students and assistant instructors who were pre-examined by him that were failed for minor errors in their grading.

"Get it wrong but do it strong" was a maxim that was repeated by the grading officer at the beginning of the grading to those being examined. yet the grading officer passed those students who were very attractive in their kata and performed to competition standard, but failed every student who performed kata as I believed that it was supposed to be done - a reminder that it is a series of fighting sequences - was failed.

The 6th Dan in my opinion is now nothing more than a dancing teacher.

Sure those students would never win any competition or even get close to the prize lists, but they would be pretty handy if there was any disturbance or they needed to protect their beer.

But that was not the reason for walking. No, the grading officer, gave reasons to the Dans who were assisting in the grading (6 of us) in our 20 minute chat to assess each student and then a different reason to many of the students. And that to me was the point where I lost my temper and my genuine passion for those students and all that they had endured during that 3hr grading was just too much.

I will not accept double standards and had no hesitation at that point in removing my belt and walking from that dojo. I did not bow out. How could I?

I have remained frineds with my former instructor have joined a different association but will never train under his direction again. I am very saddenned by this as I drew my knowledge and love for karate from him and he is a brilliant teacher.

I had many friends and students that I coached in that association and in many ways I feel as if I have let them down. I have left students with my former instructor so I know they will have good teaching.

But, whether they will be black belts or weareres of black belts is some matter of conjecture.

Would I do the same if circumstances repeated themselves? Yes, but with a variation. I would take the students with me as I threw away a few thousand pounds in as many seconds

It can be done in a couple of days Go online and buy a belt... :dodgy: Can it be done legitimately in less than two years? Sure... here's the secret. Spend 10-16 hours a day training hard, seven days a week for two years. If you can still maintain a high dedication to training, odds are you deserve the belt. Otherwise, expect 3-6 years at a good school, but remember, a black belt symbolizes that you are ready to BEGIN your training. Don't worry about how fast you can get it.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1