• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black belt exams

Abraham_lincoln

there was one person who graded to shodan, now this is an interesting position because i have never been in this situation before. An elderly man was grading and wasnt as quick, clean(technically), powerful or accurate as everyone else. this man passed and i congratulate him on his effort and success, the man I am talking about was 75 years old.

I dont know what I would do in this situation, would you grade him according to the standards of that rank or would you grade him on what he was capable of?

You can't compare the abilities of a 75 year old to those of an 18 year old. That said, there are some things that stay consistent: target areas (centerline), proper technique (not based on speed or height), and attitude and work ethic.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for mine all we had to do was read an essay on our years from white to black and about the black belt principles. then the next day we had to do moving basics, all different kinds of kicks and punches, any form the the master called out , our own form we made up, 5 self defense situations, sparring 5 boards in a max of 3 stations and a brick.

there was one person who graded to shodan, now this is an interesting position because i have never been in this situation before. An elderly man was grading and wasnt as quick, clean(technically), powerful or accurate as everyone else. this man passed and i congratulate him on his effort and success, the man I am talking about was 75 years old.

I dont know what I would do in this situation, would you grade him according to the standards of that rank or would you grade him on what he was capable of?

You can't compare the abilities of a 75 year old to those of an 18 year old. That said, there are some things that stay consistent: target areas (centerline), proper technique (not based on speed or height), and attitude and work ethic.

Agreed. While there is a set standard, students must be evaluated individually to take into account qualities other than physical ones.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Wow i cant believe how easy our black belt grading is compared to everyone elses. We have to do everything we have learnt since we started (punches, kicks, knees and elbows), 4 katas and 10 rounds of sparring

Hey, that sounds alright. It doesn't mean that your school is lower grade than others. It is just a difference in how some view what testings are to be about.

I also forgot that we do 100 sit ups and 100 push ups and 5 self defences against a jab punch

See, that is a difference that we have. We don't do the push-ups and sit ups for our testings.

I also forgot that we do 100 sit ups and 100 push ups and 5 self defences against a jab punch

See, that is a difference that we have. We don't do the push-ups and sit ups for our testings.

There's no set number of push-up's/sit up's we have to do, we just have to do them if we make any mistakes....then redo the kata/technique we messed up.

Incidentally, I passed my Shodan test two weeks ago. I can't remember the last time I was that tired.

There's no set number of push-up's/sit up's we have to do, we just have to do them if we make any mistakes....then redo the kata/technique we messed up.

Incidentally, I passed my Shodan test two weeks ago. I can't remember the last time I was that tired.

Congratulations! :karate:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi the "with good reason" I dont give out black belts,ok if you've learned what we have taught you, there should be no reason you cant pass this test,A black belt exam is a general reveiw of almost everything physical and mental learned and gained durring your 4 to 6 year stint in my Dojo.This test makes for some tuff tuff black belts and to most people shockingly enough my "Nuggets" that pass are not the stongest people in the room normally the Nuggets that make the grade are the ones who pace themselves big and small body build wise,and i do have an age limit to the test 15 and up for lady Nuggets,and 16 and up for male Nuggets,

everyone under the age limit can test for a jr Black belt-cause blue kids get life gaurds fired.

I guess my question is actually, "what is the test's purpose?" After years and years of training surely you know the capabilities of your students. Surely they know their capabilities. It sounds like you're being brutal simply to be brutal. Just my opinion.

please no one get offended at what i am about to say.

My students are very well conditioned and able bodied individuals,

it is called a test for a reason,sure i push them,i push them hard,but its not for the sake of brutality,this is the same way i was pushed and im grateful to my various Sensei for their as you call it being "Brutal"or as my assocaites and i like to call it tough love.There is an old saying that I think sums it up quite well"The iron thinks it's self needlessly beat on the anvil, and burnt in the fire...However the sword looks back and understands why."sure...I could water down my test,Raise my fees and pass people just to pass them, like 75% of the Instructors and mcDojos out there but then it would not be a test,it would be a hand out.In the end it boils down to the student.my students know what their getting it to on the onset of a test,they know its a tough test, they go through with it,and pass or fail they walk away with a scense of accomplishment and pride in themselves ,if they pass they know they've earned that belt,if they fail,they pick themselves up,train harder and succeed.but then again unless you've ever had to truly earn your rank or be truly tested,I wouldn't expect anything I've just typed to make sense.

Sensei Ford,AKA Oldskoulkarateka is one of the scariest men I've ever met,I am one of His Black Belts and the higher standards of his Dan testing requirements are what separates his Nuggets from the other Black Belts in Dojos across the tri county area,AND did i mention He is one very intimidating Karate practitioner.