• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black belt exams

Abraham_lincoln

In our black belt exams, we drill the basics a lot, then go to kata. I recall mine being physically gruelling and relentless. I even quit the first time, being only 12. Basically, we do about 80 push ups and 400 bicycle sit ups as a warm up. We get a night to rest, before the second part in the morning. Each part is about 2 hours long.

For the basics, we do a rediculous amount of punches and kicks, as well as testing the more obscure kicks, like a moon kick (keep your leg straight, and swing it around in a circle.)

Kata is pretty much how you would expect it to be. A lot of emphasis on focus, power, and precise movements.

What do your black belt exams require of you?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first was at the age of 14 in 1997. Our class had a set workout that everyone did at the beginning of every class and test. As I remember it’s basically 30 pushups, 40 sit-ups, 50 jumping jacks and 25 reserve sit-ups. The Black Belt test consists of four rounds through that.

Then we did 10 punches on each hand of all hand techniques required through Black Belt. That was immediately followed by 10 kicks of each different kicking technique on each leg.

Next came forms; I did 11 empty-hand forms and a weapons form.

After that was self-defense. I had to do a defense fast, then slowly while explaining each movement, then fast again. One requirement was to come up with one that neither of my Instructors had ever seen (between the two of them they were ranked in Tae Kwon Do, Kenpo, JuJitsu, Kung Fu, Judo and more). They surprised me in the middle of one weapons self-defense by having a student attack me from behind with a (fake) knife.

After self-defense was board breaking. I did a couple regular breaks, some combination breaks and one jumping side kick.

15 two minute rounds, alternating between continuous and point sparring - full contact, no headgear, face and groin allowed – with the Black Belt panel. This is where I got my dobok ripped. After 15 rounds, we did one 3 minute round of full contact grappling (which I think was just my Instructor’s way of getting to punch me barehanded).

After the sparring came a question and answer session, much like a job interview. Each of the 8 Black Belts on the panel asked me a philosophical question about martial arts, Black Belt rank, students and life in general. I had a hard time standing in ready position during all of that.

The last part was the ceremony. They deliberated and came back out with a belt, certificate and a plaque commemorating the school’s first Junior Black Belt.

I had to retest two years later to achieve the rank of Adult Black Belt.

1.kihon -every technique 30 times. takes about 40 minutes

2.Eido Keiko -lots of combinations. takes about 40 minutes

3. All Kata; 3 Taikiyoku; 3 Sokugi ;5 Pinan;Sanchin ; Yantzu ;Tsuki No Kata ;

All Taikiyoku and Pinan in Kaiten Eido ; Giksei Dai and Sho ;Saipa ;

Tensho.

4. 5 Km run ;100 pushups ; 100 jump squats ; hand stand for 90 seconds ;

15 pull ups ; Seated straight leg streach (head to knees) ;Spinning jump kick to target 30 cm above head.

5.15* 2 minute rounds of Kumite KD rules.

6. set of self defence combinations.

7. 2 Bo and Tonfa Kata.

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

Wow, sounds like some hard core testings going on here! Sounds like fun, but I think I would die afterwards!

My black belt tests mainly consist of basics and forms, usually about 3 of them, and then all one-steps, 3 rounds of sparring, and board breaking, at usually 3 stations.

My 1st dan testing included all of the forms and one-steps, which included 9 forms. Maybe not as taxing as some, but it gave me a good workout.

Forgot to add this on my previous post on the subject.

Tamashiwara-5 official size boards with seiken, or seven whith shuto.

All of above for shodan.

Nidan-plus Kata-Seiunchin ;Garyu and 20 rouinds of KD.

Sandan- Kata Seipai; 30 rounds of KD.

Yondan - Kata Kanku Dai ; 40 rounds of KD.

Godan - Kata Sushi Ho ; 50 rounds of KD.

Edited by sonofkanga

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

Black belt test in our club goes like this

• 1) All kihon techniques (strikes, blocks, kicks and stances)

2) All previous + (attempting) dan grade level pre-set combinations, line drills and kumite drills

3) All previous grade kata + chosen kata for dan grade (1 out of a choice of 3)

4) 30 minutes jiyu kumite

5) Fitness test - 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 burpees

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

my bb test for tkd involved all the basics, a pile of breaking techniques, the patterns and then a whole pile of sparring, 1 on 1, 2 on 1 and 3 on 1

not sure about the exact sylabus of the club im at now but it would be on the website.

Now you use head for something other than target.

my 2nd dan grading was on the sunday of a weekend training course. so first you must attened all sessions on this course. The grading is this:

1) 5 heian kata

2) Kihon learnt to perform on the day

3) "Quickfire" un learnt ones 4 by each examinar.

4) Advanced kata how ever many the panal wants.

5) 1 Step kumite to involve takedowns on all counters.

6) Kata Bunkai of kata of your choice (3 Sequences)

7) Free gloved up sparring 2-3 people 2 mins each person.

"When I punch, I do not hit, it hits all by itself."

Bruce Lee

We must know everything from white to current rank.

All kata

All self defense techniques against strikes, kicks, etc...

All blocks, stances, strikes must be shown correctly and know them in japanese.

All defenses against weapons.

Physical exam ( pushups, situps, jumping jacks, heavy bag workout, squat thrusts)

Sparring against all others testing or other Black belt examiners if not many testing.

Written exam and essays.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.