• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Someone has a post here about how TKD came from Shotokan. I think TKD has underwent a lot of changes and is nothing like karate now. However you can find parts of all arts in other arts. So I guess the answer to your question is yes and no.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 4 months later...

yes and no :-?

TKD is also called "Korean Karate", in fact, when TKD came to america, it was know as "Korean Karate" and no as "taekwondo" because nobody knew wtf that mean.

Today, TKD is sightly different from Shotokan, and Karate in general.

In TKD you work around 70% of kicks, and 30% (maybe less) of hand work, in fact, many people that have seen TKD fights have asked me "they only can kick? no punching?"

but they have some things in common, like both have "kata's" (in TKD they are called "figures") and so on...

Valencia - Venezuela.

Yes and No,

Karate and Taekwondo are same, their both are martial art with a few same punch and kick.

But Karate and Taekwondo have a different too, in TKD kick is dominant then punch

1000 kilometres journey started from one single step.

Venezolano is right.

Tae Kwon Do was often referred to as Korean Karate when it came to the USA.

A lot of people think that in Tae Kwon Do, you use your legs all the time and never use your hands.

That's not true, in Tae Kwon Do you learn a lot of hand techniques, however as Venezolano says, you learn about 70% kicks and 30% hand techniques.

Korea was occupied by Japan for a long time. During the occupation, Indegenous arts were repressed by the Japanese. When Korea became independant, they wanted to establish a national identity. One thing they wanted to do was establish a national art.

So General Choi Hong Hi, with a Black Belt in Shotokan Karate, created Tae Kwan Do as a national art. TKD had standardized names, belts, rules, and forms (several of the Poomse being exact replicas of Karate Kata).

The base of TKD is Choi, and the martial base of Choi was Karate. That said, many of the initial instructors had other backgrounds, and half-a-century has passed. "Karate" and TKD (wtf, atf, itf, etc) are not identical, but they do have a shared history.

• 4 weeks later...

karate doesn't have an axe kick and cut kicks and some other kicks and focuses more on punches. tkd is about speed, while karate is more about power from my knowledge.

also tkd tends to have more full contact sparring(I think). both wtf n itf are full contact nowadays while shotokan is non contact point sparring. sport wise

Actually (in my style at least), Karate does have an ax kick, but I haven't heard of a "cut kick".

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.