• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Straight arm counter

Ive been doing judo for a few months now and have a question about randori. How do you counter/deal with someone keeping a straight arm on you. I always seem to find that my opponent keeps a straight arm and I am unable to get in close for a throw.

Any help appreciated

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instead of trying to throw, try to sweep him instead. Or, you could turn into him with your opposite shoulder, wrapping his straight arm around your body, and then hip throwing him.

I don't have much experience with throws, but thinking in my head, it may work.

in a tournament, guys who straight arm usually get penalized for stalling, as it's hard for anyone to attack while getting straight armed. How good is your kumi kata? use it - break his grip on you. also, smack his arm upward, lower your level, as if you are shooting in for a takedown and move in. There are several ways to get around it, but they are difficult to explain in few words.

I really hate it when people stiff arm in training, because nobody learns anything.

in a tournament, guys who straight arm usually get penalized for stalling, as it's hard for anyone to attack while getting straight armed. How good is your kumi kata? use it - break his grip on you. also, smack his arm upward, lower your level, as if you are shooting in for a takedown and move in. There are several ways to get around it, but they are difficult to explain in few words.

I really hate it when people stiff arm in training, because nobody learns anything.

I have not had any experience with this. I didn't realize it caused so many problems. I guess in competition, it would be hard to get around. On the street, you could probably have a field day with that straight arm.

Drop to guard and armbar.

If that's not legal in Judo, you could always hold the arm and drop into a single leg. You may not get the takedown, but he will have to either let go to get the underhook/defend or step back with the leg you attacked. This will leave the opponent open for Seio Otoshi or if he releases his grip, you can begin to attack.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Dropping into a single might work. It is also a ripe invitation to launch you with uchimata.

Straight arms create distance. Simply turn in for a seionage. Keep in mind your opponent is strong in direction parallel to the arms. If you turn your body perpendicular you can move in for throws like osotogari.

Dropping into a single might work. It is also a ripe invitation to launch you with uchimata.

Straight arms create distance. Simply turn in for a seionage. Keep in mind your opponent is strong in direction parallel to the arms. If you turn your body perpendicular you can move in for throws like osotogari.

I have a feeling we have different ideas of what dropping for a single includes. I don't see how you could get hit with uchi, a proper penetration step is going to put the opponent way below the center of gravity and unable to be thrown.

I know it's difficult to explain here, but please expand on how you would hit uchi from a single.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."