• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I study Olympic TKD that's not sport oriented. We do Olympic style sparring in a separate sparring class twice a week, but during regular class, it's all about self defence, and traditional training. Forms, one steps, and self defence techniques. We have designated cardio days too, which are great workout days and involve a lot of target training, and sparring drills. We have a guy in our school that is a brown belt in kempo. He ahs been with us for about 6 months and thinks that our TKD classes are a great compliment to his kempo training.

Hope this helps.

This clears up my perception. Are all of the students required to go to the regular classes as opposed to just going to the competition and sparring classes?

Our instructor requires that we go to regular classes 2 times a week, although he prefers 3 times a week if we can do it. The more times a week you can make it to class the better. He hold designated classes for belt ranges (white - green & High green - deputy black) during the whole week every day. You just have to show up at the right tme. He also has open classes on Saturdays that are broken up by age level instead of belt, so low belts can train with higher belts and visa versa.

Sparring class is actually optional although strongly encouraged, because even though it's Olympic style sparring, it's good to experience what it's like to get hit, and to hit another person in a controlled environment.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

I see. That is a nice schedule and setup. Does your school also train the applications of the forms?

Of course. Our intructor tells us what each movment is for as we learn our new forms. I've never been to a school that doesn't, however I am sad to find out that the world is very abundant in schools that don't teach you the application of the movements in your forms, self defence techniques and whatnot.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

I see. That is a nice schedule and setup. Does your school also train the applications of the forms?

Of course. Our intructor tells us what each movment is for as we learn our new forms. I've never been to a school that doesn't, however I am sad to find out that the world is very abundant in schools that don't teach you the application of the movements in your forms, self defence techniques and whatnot.

Do you actually do any partner drills with the forms applications?

I went to the Yoshukai school tonight and watched a class...coincidently, they had a testing prep class as well. I have to say that I am much more impressed with the Yoshukai students overall. There were some white and yellow belts that were in the adult class that were pretty good for that level, meaning the basics have been hammered into them(which I think is a must). The black belts are outstanding, and the middle belts were doing some weapons kata that looked really good as well.

I am very impressed with this school overall and will be starting this Thursday.

I chose this school not only because of the quality of the students, but the crispness of the instructors and the curriculum content. I am very pleased to note that Thursdays are sparring days, and they have medium contact sparring which they call Ipon Kumite. Sparring nights also have a grappling class after the sparring class...YAY!

So, they have grappling, Kobudo, and Katan work in the curriculum, as well as the usual traditional Japanese Karate content. Nice, very nice.

After viewing a few websites specific to the style I've found some website directly contradicting some others, yet claming to have affiliation to international Yoshukai. Based on some pics etc it is difinitely Chito-Ryu or very very similar.

Here is a link with a lot of good info on that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chito-ryu

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu