• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok, I'm getting the itch to do something different. I have yet to test for Shodan in Kenpo, and might not for some while. I have the material, but nobody to train with who is at my level. So, my motivation to train is twofold. One is that I don't want to stagnate, and feel the need to study either something new, or delve deeper into the style that I practice(which is difficult since there is no suitable instructor near me). Two is that I am looking for a training partner to complete my shodan in kenpo. I don't need somebody who is capable in my style, but I do need somebody who can be a 'good bad guy.' By that I mean that he knows how to react to techniques to make it look similar to the real thing, and knows how to fall, etc.

Anyway, since I'm close to DFW, I have pretty much any style I want to pick within an hour of me...problem is, I don't like to drive an hour each way, and gas prices suck. So, in my town we have two to choose from. One is Yoshukai Karate and the other is TKD. I don't know what federation the TKD is.

From what I can gather, the Yoshukai is from Chito-Ryu under Master Chitose and evolved from there when one of Chitose's students created it. It is officially recognized as a true martial art in 1963 and is known as the Actual Fighting Karate.

I've visited the Yoshukai school, but have yet to visit the TKD school. I have trained in TKD before, but had a bad experience. After training in the MA for as long as I have, I have learned that it was the instructor, and not the Style that was the problem, so I'm willing to give it another shot.

What do any of you know about Yoshukai Karate, and do any of you study it? Also, given the choices, what would you pick?

Thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have never heard of Yoshukai Karate, so I would probably be drawn to it, just out of curiosity. However, I do TKD, so that would be something different for me.

I enjoy TKD, and you are right about having a good instructor. That makes all of the difference.

I have done both Kenpo and Tae Kwon Do, and I think that they compliment each other quite well (depending on the organization). If it is a traditional style, rather than Olympic style, I'd vote to go with the TKD.

With the Yoshukai , they may not be accustomed to your kicks and punches whereas it won't be as much of a difference between Kenpo and TKD.

For your purposes - extending and complimenting your training, i would go with TKD. If you were looking for something completely different to supplement your training I would say Yoshukai.

Of course this could all vary and I could be entirely wrong.

so, I spoke today with the owner of the TKD school. He is Min Hur and has been teaching for 20 years...15 in chicago and 5 here. He said he teaches Olympic TKD, and I asked him if it was sport oriented, and he said no, that it was like traditional hapkido.

I do like the schedule which is mon-fri 7-8pm. That works for me.

I am impressed with his credentials which can be seen in part here:

http://www.minhurstaekwondo.com/Master%20Hur.htm

So, I'll go and watch a TKD class tomorrow night, and then a Yoshukai class on thursday.

His credentials look good, but he doesn't list the organizations he got them through. Not a big deal, but he just shows a rank. I also find it hard to believe he teaches Olympic TKD, but is not sport oriented. But, I could be wrong.

Hope it goes well for you.

I study Olympic TKD that's not sport oriented. We do Olympic style sparring in a separate sparring class twice a week, but during regular class, it's all about self defence, and traditional training. Forms, one steps, and self defence techniques. We have designated cardio days too, which are great workout days and involve a lot of target training, and sparring drills. We have a guy in our school that is a brown belt in kempo. He ahs been with us for about 6 months and thinks that our TKD classes are a great compliment to his kempo training.

Hope this helps.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

I sat and watched a class last night. It was a prep class for testing which was today, but I didn't go to the testing...anyway, there were three red belts(one adult and two early teens), a black belt(maybe like 14yrs old), and some blue and purple belts. Master Kim wasn't there, but there was a BB instructor leading the class.

Now I do hate to sound negative toward anybody else, especially an instructor who was EXTREMELY nice to me while I was there, but...

She seemed confused about the basic forms that the lower belts were performing. Which strike goes where, etc. Also, she had no snap at all...like she was just going through the movements, and would rather be somewhere else. Now, I'm sure we all have bad days, so maybe there's more to it than I saw.

The younger BB also didn't really show any BB skill...they were practicing one steps and self defense techniques and everytime after blocking, he had to think about what he should do...that just won't fly in a real situation. He also seemed more intent on practicing kicks that were obviously beyond his level(lke wushu stuff)than working on perfecting any of his current material.

Another thing that bothered me was the adult red belt was in really poor shape physically and couldn't perform alot of the kicks that he was asked to do at a reasonable competency. The roundhouse was extremely low, like groin level, everytime he threw it. He did attempt the tornado kicks that they were doing, but even I have some trouble with those, so I can't say too much :P However, it seemed like he wasn't really wanting it...again, that bothers me since he's in the highest of ranks, approaching black belt.

The most impressive person there was a yellow belt adult who I would say either practiced nonstop, or has prior experience, because he was pretty decent, and had great spirit.

Man, being an extremely picky and anally retentive instructor of a combat style has really messed me up for watching anybody else. When I practice, the technicalities and heavy reliance on basics are a priority, and I saw very little in the way of good footwork, even from the BB's there.

I'm going to sit in for a Yoshukai class on Tuesday and try to make my decision from there.

Oh, he's not WTF or ITF, but he is affiliated with both in an administrative aspect of some sort from what I gathered by talking to the instructor last night. I should have written it down, but didn't think of it, he's in the Kyukki(sp?) Do federation...I most likely slaughtered that name, but can't remember exactly what it was due to being unfamiliar with it.

I study Olympic TKD that's not sport oriented. We do Olympic style sparring in a separate sparring class twice a week, but during regular class, it's all about self defence, and traditional training. Forms, one steps, and self defence techniques. We have designated cardio days too, which are great workout days and involve a lot of target training, and sparring drills. We have a guy in our school that is a brown belt in kempo. He ahs been with us for about 6 months and thinks that our TKD classes are a great compliment to his kempo training.

Hope this helps.

This clears up my perception. Are all of the students required to go to the regular classes as opposed to just going to the competition and sparring classes?