• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hey everyone

in my school there is a judo club. i am doin JKD now and my school teaches more striking than ground fighting, joint manipulations, throws, holds and things like that. i was wondering if you guys thought it would be good to cross train in judo and JKD. i know that it is never really a bad thing to learn another art, but if i do this judo club, i will have to spend less time at my JKD school. also, i know that judo is mostly a sport so i was wondering if it had many realistic self defense techniques and grappling like jiu jutsu and hapkido.

thanx 4 the info

french fri25

Personally, I'd spend 70% of my time at the judo class, and 30% of my time at the JKD class.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say join up even if they don't do alot of traditional ground work you will learn some very effective throws. Also you will learn how to prevent from being taken down so easily. And if you find this club to teach the entire Kodakan text you will learn everything from major outter reaps, ground work, and some self defense in the striking relm. You have absolutely nothing to loose by trying it out for awhile.

Throws are very much attacks in of themselves. Culled from another website with people better at the internet then I: http://www.dailymotion.com/country:ca/video/x4hurc_cory-devela-vs-joe-riggs1_sport

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Throws are very much attacks in of themselves. Culled from another website with people better at the internet then I: http://www.dailymotion.com/country:ca/video/x4hurc_cory-devela-vs-joe-riggs1_sport

ouch.. :( I love Judo.. :D

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

You can end a fight with a well exicuted throw. A good Judoka can make you land how ever he/she pleases. If nothing else you make a guy tired from dragging himself up off the ground evertime you toss him on his head.

I have seen fights where Cung Le would toss his opponents so much that it just wore them down. Towards the end of the match, the opponent had no defense against his throws.

mmmm i think that is a waste of time, and the fight should be over as quickly as possible. I wouldn't waste my time with tossing or spining moves.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

mmmm i think that is a waste of time, and the fight should be over as quickly as possible. I wouldn't waste my time with tossing or spining moves.

I know they say to never go to the ground in a street fight, BUT, I would throw them to the ground and either pin them, or ground and pound, depending on the danger level I am in, I would escalate the violence.. Throwing is very effective, and there is very little spinning moves in Kodokan, in fact, there all pretty basic and easy to learn.. :) but I do agree, I would try to end the fight quickly.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard