• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I broke his nose, should I apologize?

zuluking

People bump into each other all the time. Thank goodness we all aren't throwing elbows because of it. You should have followed and apologized immediatley. It might be too late now unless you know who he is.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah like someone else mentioned, if you hit everyone who bumped into you, you would have been arrested loads of times. You obviously feel a little guilty otherwise you wouldn't have posted this thread and asking 'should i apologize?' I would say yes, definatly apologize. But you said the guy ran away, so do you know who he is and where to find him?

I would say apologize, but that might get you sued. I would first call an attorney and to see what s/he has to say. I would defintatly check on the statute of limintations on this though. Apologize to him after that time period is over.

One More Time

Apologize, then take off that black belt and go find better training. You lack control. Your sensei apparently did not teach it to you, or you didn't pay attention. I feel more comfortable fighting qualified shodan's than yellow, orange, green, purple poka dot whatever belts because that black cloth should mean you have control over your techniques and your enviroment. If you do not, make it the next step in your training to master the tactic.

As far as apologies go, if I broke someones bones after they tried to kill me, I'd apologize to them for there pains. Why? Because it's part of my code of honor. Warriors are a cut above the rest, you no longer have the right to claim things like 'he did it to me I can do it to him.' A warrior is not a child. You can demonstrate your superiority to your non-warrior peers only by demonstrating compassion, mercy, kindness, and honor in ANY situation. Your aggression earns you know respect and you are beggining to be defeated by exploiting it.

Also, I'd like to state I am a biker. lol, and while I understand where the stereotype comes from, biker rallies are not full of drunkard fist fighters. Thats actually where the term 'one percenters' comes from. Only one percent of those of us intrigued by the sport are the stereotypical 'outlaw biker' type.

Sorry to intrude on this discussion.

To my hearing there is something a bit too harsh in stating that a yudansha of shodan level should take of his belt because of this incident.

Shodan implies beginners status,and you censor him for acting like a beginner!?

I understood that reflex took over judgment.A mistake in this case and I am shure he regrets it.

Do not atribute SanDan or even GoDan charecteristics to a mere beginner.

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

Sorry to intrude on this discussion.

To my hearing there is something a bit too harsh in stating that a yudansha of shodan level should take of his belt because of this incident.

Shodan implies beginners status,and you censor him for acting like a beginner!?

I understood that reflex took over judgment.A mistake in this case and I am shure he regrets it.

Do not atribute SanDan or even GoDan charecteristics to a mere beginner.

I don't know about losing the belt. I agree with you on that one.

But he seriously lacked discipline, control and needs to seriously look inside himself and make sure he dosen't repeat his foolish mistake again.

Hey, the guys nose was broken.. That guy will be feeling it for a while all over nothing. There should definately be some remorse over what happened.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

well, the warriors journey is his own. I do not share your views of a shodan being a beginer to that extent. I can simply say that is what I would do. I don't think - or even expect - his orginization would remove him from his rank. But I would hold myself to that standard without a sensei's demand.

orionryu wrote:

Apologize, then take off that black belt and go find better training. You lack control. Your sensei apparently did not teach it to you, or you didn't pay attention. I feel more comfortable fighting qualified shodan's than yellow, orange, green, purple poka dot whatever belts because that black cloth should mean you have control over your techniques and your enviroment. If you do not, make it the next step in your training to master the tactic.

TOTALY AGREE that he made a mistake.

Definitly do not agree with the censur as quoted above.

Yes he probably feels remorse otherwise he would not have started this thread in the first place.

I belive his question came from wanting to know how a martial art student

should act after the incident.

To my understanding your code of conduct is made up from your own background;the culture you live in;and as a martial art student the code of your own martial art and Dojo.

There is no clear cut answer,the case has to be judged in the correct contex.

Guide lines should be given ,in this case,by his Sensei.

In some cultures a peace gift is a must, in others it might be construed as an insult.

Bottom line:

As your Sensei was present and you are his responcibility,go to him for advice.

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

Bottom line:

As your Sensei was present and you are his responcibility,go to him for advice.

Good advice here. Your actions reflect upon your teacher-give him the opportunity to offer counsel.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda understand how the OP is feeling. Something similar happened to me a year or so ago. I was on holiday in Dublin with friends when we decided to go and visit the Dracula museum for a laugh.

As well as info about Bram Stoker and Dracula there was a "chamber of horrors" sorta part that you walk through. I was stood in this one room reading this 'information board' when I felt something behind me. I turned round quick and there was a guy dressed up as Dracula in my face, leaning over me, mouth open as if he was going to bite me. Obviously it was just a bit of fun to make visitors jump, but I instinctively threw up my hands to protect myself. As I did so, I hit him in the nose. It was a pure accident and I hadn't meant to hit him, it was basically an automatic response to protect myself (even though I wasn't in real danger).

I was mortified that I'd hit this guy and hurt him and I couldn't stop apologising to him. He was very nice about it (lol, maybe it's not the first time someone had hit him for trying to "bite" them) but I still felt awful. I also felt really guilty as though I should have done something different, but for that split second I just went into automatic defence mode and thought it was an attacker.

I think that the OP should apologise/have apologised. Accidents happen, but apologies should always follow.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!