Softening new Belts

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sort of like that feeling of a new belt. It lets you savor a new belt rank for a while. We all know how long it can be before you move up in belt rank again. Especially once you reach the dan level. Maybe I'm just a bit too sentimental about this though.

I'm a firm believer in not washing the belt. But if you really are having trouble with an overly stiff belt then put a little warm water around the knot as this will help take out some of the starch. Just make sure your kid isn't wearing his belt when you do it or it'll look like he's wet himself!

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

I like Brandon's idea of folding it in half & twisting it. Also, store it rolled up. That will soften it, too.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Sometimes, I sound briliant to my students. Yesterday, I tied a brand new yellow belt on a student that was INCREDIBLY stiff. After reading these posts, I could simply say, "When ya get home, have your brother hold one end, while you twist the other. It'll soften after doing that often. Then store it rolled up."

I learn so much reading these threads. Your royalty checks are in the mail :D

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Sometimes, I sound briliant to my students. Yesterday, I tied a brand new yellow belt on a student that was INCREDIBLY stiff. After reading these posts, I could simply say, "When ya get home, have your brother hold one end, while you twist the other. It'll soften after doing that often. Then store it rolled up."

I learn so much reading these threads. Your royalty checks are in the mail :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll roll it up, leave it for an hour, and roll it up in the opposite direction first. Next, over the entire length of the belt I'll wrap my fingers around it and squeeze in a fist. The middle of the belt goes in against my palm. I'll go through the same in the opposite direction as well. Next, I do as already been suggested in that I'll do some twisting, then store it folded.

:)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu