• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self Defense Classes

I think I use it to catch parent's attention. Unfortunately most people still are thinking in the old days of "Strangers Bad"..."Friends and Family Good!"

I have a very small program which is actually on hold right now because I may be moving for different employment in the next month but when I would be promoting my classes the term "Stranger Danger" got their attention. It was the term that hooked them and then I could explain how we would teach the kids things like "What to do if they are lost in the mall" "If someone approaches them at the playground", etc etc. What I promote my program as is 4 parts in one. Physical Fitness, Martial Arts, Self Defense, and Stranger 'Awareness'. I honestly have had discussions with the parents about how Strangers aren't actually Strangers anymore and that the best weapon these kids can have is a confident, self-aware attitude about what is 'right' and what is 'wrong'.

So I assume it's basically due to me not refining my terminology and what not when I 'talk' about it. I have just recently (in the past year) come up with this curriculum so to speak and started teaching it in six or twelve week sessions. And from my experience talking with the general public..they still identify with 'Stranger Danger'. Although what I teach probably doesnt fall under that category.

Its very difficult especially as a small scale guy like myself to explain to people that your not just a kids karate class as well so getting them to listen to your shpeel is vital to getting them to take the class. Theres tons of kids karate w/ self defense stuff..but very few that quiz the kids on real-life situations, phone numbers, addresses, etc. The point I always try to make to the parents is that. You practice shooting baskets, and hitting baseballs, and your trombone so you get better. It's just as important to practice being safe. If something were ever to happen you want the child's reaction to be instinctive and instant. If you practice these things (and that doesnt always apply to wrist grabs and choke grabs---it also applies to dialing your own phone number--or knowing two or three phone numbers you can call if you are lost) then it will be that much more likely that the child will make the right decision under stress.

So all this rambling is usually what I spew out AFTER I get their attention with Stranger Danger. Heh. If that makes much sense.

I come to you with only karate.

My hands are empty, but I fear no man.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I use it to catch parent's attention. Unfortunately most people still are thinking in the old days of "Strangers Bad"..."Friends and Family Good!"

I have a very small program which is actually on hold right now because I may be moving for different employment in the next month but when I would be promoting my classes the term "Stranger Danger" got their attention. It was the term that hooked them and then I could explain how we would teach the kids things like "What to do if they are lost in the mall" "If someone approaches them at the playground", etc etc. What I promote my program as is 4 parts in one. Physical Fitness, Martial Arts, Self Defense, and Stranger 'Awareness'. I honestly have had discussions with the parents about how Strangers aren't actually Strangers anymore and that the best weapon these kids can have is a confident, self-aware attitude about what is 'right' and what is 'wrong'.

So I assume it's basically due to me not refining my terminology and what not when I 'talk' about it. I have just recently (in the past year) come up with this curriculum so to speak and started teaching it in six or twelve week sessions. And from my experience talking with the general public..they still identify with 'Stranger Danger'. Although what I teach probably doesnt fall under that category.

Its very difficult especially as a small scale guy like myself to explain to people that your not just a kids karate class as well so getting them to listen to your shpeel is vital to getting them to take the class. Theres tons of kids karate w/ self defense stuff..but very few that quiz the kids on real-life situations, phone numbers, addresses, etc. The point I always try to make to the parents is that. You practice shooting baskets, and hitting baseballs, and your trombone so you get better. It's just as important to practice being safe. If something were ever to happen you want the child's reaction to be instinctive and instant. If you practice these things (and that doesnt always apply to wrist grabs and choke grabs---it also applies to dialing your own phone number--or knowing two or three phone numbers you can call if you are lost) then it will be that much more likely that the child will make the right decision under stress.

So all this rambling is usually what I spew out AFTER I get their attention with Stranger Danger. Heh. If that makes much sense.

I thought that might be your reasoning and I do understand that. However, while your program may not be a typical "Stranger-Danger" program, the term still emphasizes the "stranger" aspect just in the terminology alone. In NLP this is often thought of as an anchor. It's kind of like this- if you tell someone "don't think about strangers" what's the first thing they think about? In order for them not to think about strangers they have to picture in there mind's eye what it is they are NOT supposed to think about. This actually keeps the thing we don't want them thinking about at the forefront of their mind. Does that make sense? It goes back to that old adage "out of sight, out of mind". In other words if we throw out the word "stranger" they will eventually forget about it and instead focus on the big picture.

I realize that you have your own program but If you might be interested in a solid program to implement I would highly suggest checking out http://www.safetykids.org - I spent years building my own program only to find that it wasn't half as complete as the "Be A Safety Kid" materials. They offer comprehensive curriculums for every grade up through 5th. They have discarded the word "stranger" and other terms typical of the "Stranger-Danger" programs.

Here are a couple of links to articles on this topic, one I wrote (which you may have read on my website) and another was written by Nancy McBride of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children-

http://www.geocities.com/combatives/strangerdangerarticle.html

http://www.myparentime.com/articles/05/articleS517.shtml

Steve Zorn, ICPS

Personal Safety Unlimited

http://www.geocities.com/combatives

And here I was hoping you'd just offer me a job with your company!

Thanks for the links.

If I could afford it, I would consider it.

I too understand how hard it is to get people to understand the differences between personal safety and martial arts. I also understand how easily people relate certain concepts to totally unrelated activities. To give you an example, I rarely teach martial arts anymore and even when I do it's nothing like Karate or Tae Kwon Do. However, since those are common forms of martial arts and the most often heard terms, that's what people think I do when I offer the martial arts classes. The same holds true for teaching child safety. I have parents ask if I teach "Stranger-Danger" and I have to tell them no and then go on to explain what it is I actually do teach. It can be hard and it can be frustrating but eventually some of the people get it and then they begin to spread the word to others. Another example is when I tell people that I teach abduction prevention to children. They immediately think I teach martial arts skills like punching and kicking. I then have to go through a long explanaition as to what it is I actually do teach and why. It's tough!

You are more than welcome for the links.

Steve Zorn, ICPS

ill admit you do hear about a lot of people that are saved by someone that took a cpr course, and there are a lot of kids that will stop drop and roll in a fire.

but my guess is that there are a lot more incidents where someone that did a cpr course tried but failed because they did something wrong.

you say this is my opinion, which it may be, but the fact remains that a 2 hour self defence course isnt going to be as effective as if the person that did said course continually practiced it. and thats fact, and it is the same in anything.

someone that continually practices will be better than someone that doesnt, thats my point.

Now you use head for something other than target.

ill admit you do hear about a lot of people that are saved by someone that took a cpr course, and there are a lot of kids that will stop drop and roll in a fire.

but my guess is that there are a lot more incidents where someone that did a cpr course tried but failed because they did something wrong.

you say this is my opinion, which it may be, but the fact remains that a 2 hour self defence course isnt going to be as effective as if the person that did said course continually practiced it. and thats fact, and it is the same in anything.

someone that continually practices will be better than someone that doesnt, thats my point.

In regards to CPR, a person can't really do anything wrong to cause more problems, as cardiac arrest is about as bad as it can get. The only wrong thing would be to not do anything when they have the necessary skills. When a person goes into cardiac arrest any kind of help, even if not executed technically correct, could mean the difference between life and death. Statistically the only negative that has come from technically incorrect CPR is a broken rib or two. When their life is on the line that's a small price to pay. It is true that even perfectly performed CPR doesn't alway help but that has to do with other variables than the actual application of CPR. The point is, that tons of people who have taken CPR courses have successfully demonstrated the ability to retain and utilize these skills under stress in real situations.

I will agree with you in that the person who practices more will be better. That's a given. However, you initially stated that a crash course was a waste of time and that it would only create false confidence. However, as I have pointed out, that simply isn't the case. As long as the program is based on solid concepts, natural motor-skills, and modern teaching/learning theories it not only improves survival odds but it builds confidence that is both true and applicable under stress.

Steve Zorm, ICPS

i have seen a lot of people coming out of self defence classes thinking they are indestructable. i dont think i said it was a complete waste of time, because learning the stuff is great, so long as you practice it.

while a basic self defence course might help people get out of some situations, they wont be able to get out of as many as some one more experienced will be able to. the problem is, the people that i have seen do self defence classes will not realise where the cut off point is and could end up getting themselves and others hurt if they get in over their head.

if you look at anything that requires some sort of licence to do, electricians, plumbers, builders etc they are all long drawn out courses. sure you can do a quick afternoon of a DIY lighting course or something, but i wouldnt want said person to wire my house up.

Now you use head for something other than target.

i have seen a lot of people coming out of self defence classes thinking they are indestructable. i dont think i said it was a complete waste of time, because learning the stuff is great, so long as you practice it.

while a basic self defence course might help people get out of some situations, they wont be able to get out of as many as some one more experienced will be able to. the problem is, the people that i have seen do self defence classes will not realise where the cut off point is and could end up getting themselves and others hurt if they get in over their head.

if you look at anything that requires some sort of licence to do, electricians, plumbers, builders etc they are all long drawn out courses. sure you can do a quick afternoon of a DIY lighting course or something, but i wouldnt want said person to wire my house up.

Honestly I think we are just going around in circles here.

The point is that research and interviews prove that solid self-defense "crash courses" do in fact work, regardless of what martial artists think of said courses. In fact, these courses have proven themselves way more effective than long-term martial arts classes for realistic and practical personal safety.

Again, I do agree with you in that practice makes perfect. I have never said differently. However, I still say that a program based on realistic research, natural motor-skills, and modern teaching/learning theories is superior for real self-defense, for both a short-term and long-term training schedule. This can easily be pressure-tested by using 2 students with no previous knowledge, training, or skill. Put one through a 4 week traditional martial arts self-defense class and put the other through a 1 day modern reality-based training program based on my criteria. Then pressure test them in various simulated scenarios. You will quickly have your answer.

As for your analogy, it's off a little. There are hundreds of thousand of people who take 1 day DIY "crash courses" so that they can handle minor issues and make minor repairs on their homes. This is fact. Do they need the long-term and high level education of a licensed practitioner to perform these simple tasks? Absolutley not! However, if they wanted to go into business of home repair then that long-term high level education would be necessary and required. The same holds true for self-defense and personal safety. A person doesn't not need a long-term high level safety education in order to keep themselves safe. However, if they chose to become instructors in this field that long-term high level education would be necessary and required.

Honestly, the same thing can be said regarding the study of martial arts and it's transference to self-defense. Personally I don't think that the study of martial arts alone qualifies anyone to teach self-defense or general personal safety. In fact, while a person my be highly qualified in a particular art, style, or system all that proves is that they have an education regarding that specific art and nothing more. In the corporate world they use the term "subject matter expert". The individual in question would be a subject matter expert on their chosen art but not on self-defense or personal safety. To become a subject matter expert a person needs to invest time, money, and energy into learning as much as they can about their chosen field. Even if they don't agree with something, they need to do the research.

Steve Zorn, ICPS