• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Worksheets for kids???

In our kids program, we also dealt with things like integrity, respect, courtesy, and the like. It made the classes more fun for kids at times, and gave them something to think about at home.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does that kind of homework really help the kids? I understand karate in a way that should influde over they lifes, but well differenced form school activities.

I prefer them learning a lot in the class than making them feel overwhelmed for doing their worksheets as a special work apart from their school assignments.

Maybe making them do (10 and upper) some small investigation work about their karate style to get the next belt or something special like that...but not frequent worksheets.

Just point of views.

I use weekly homework all the time and it does work, but, it can be tons of work for YOU, and you must be consistent. If you don't put effort into it, then neither will your students. And, the parents (the ones paying you) will not see value in your program. I Have used teams in the past, assigning students to a team and rewarding the best, and rigging it so the teams stay even to the end. You have to follow thru, it you don’t all your good ideas will defeat you.

As for rewards, I am the best salesman in the world. I can get the cheapest prize in the world, but if you sell it…… it has value. Example….

We had a summer t shirt. I had it in a bag so you couldn’t see it. I talked about how it was the coolest t shirt ever, our best design so far…. Really talked it up….. when in reality, it was nice, but so were all out t shirts. Then, I slowly pulled it out, real dramatic like, and the kids all went whoooooooooooooo, and ate it up. I sold out in one class. Get it. It has value, if sensei says it has value, just like bowing and traditions, they mean something to the student, because sensei gives t value.

place clever martial arts phrase here

• 3 weeks later...

Worksheets can be effective if used properly. Honestly, I have seen many studios implement these "homework" type programs and overdo it to the point where it no longer has any value. If the instructor assigns a worksheet every week, the reward (I believe you had suggested stars) loses value, especially since everyone has a Do Bohk full of them.

I think the best combination is used with the monthly (bi-monthly, etc.) curriculum. For example, if the monthly mental curriculum is goal-setting then have the children write down three goals each for school, home, and at karate. There are certainly other effective methods, but I like this one because it doesn't overload the students and it actually means something when the students receive it. As was just stated, you have to sell it. Help the students and the parents to understand why the children are doing homework and what it is doing for them and their goals.

Also, to the person who suggested that stars on the Do Bohk takes away from the "traditionality" of the uniform, try putting strips of electrical tape on the student's belt instead. For example, a red stripe for A's and B's, a green stripe for completing homework, etc. This way they can leave their Do Bohk traditional and clean while still providing a temporary aid to help them visualize their success.

And, of course, this is just my opinion. Good luck!