• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The only jiu jitsu ive learned so far (100% self tought) is gracie jiu jitsu. This isnt really a very "sport" style. However, in my search to finally start learning Jiu Jitsu with a real teacher, i foudn this place. They call their style "sport jiu jitsu". Do you guys have any experience with this , and if it can also apply to real life self defence as Gracie Jiu Jistu can?

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You're gonna have to check it out and see. Does the school have a website? Who are the instructors? Who taught them?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I think BJJ is a very sport oriented style of jujitsu. There is the Abu Dabi Combat arts club that has the world's largest submission grappling tournament every year, and BJJ is a huge part of it. As a matter of fact, I think some rank advancements in BJJ are based off of competition participation.

No, competition is not a requirement of advancement in original Gracie Brazilian Jiujitsu. It was designed for self defense and has been adapted to sport well.

No problem. Just to clarify, some ranks (very high ranks) are provided to those who have done alot to advance the art. In some cases it can be in connection with competition. But not as a necessity.

No problem. Just to clarify, some ranks (very high ranks) are provided to those who have done alot to advance the art. In some cases it can be in connection with competition. But not as a necessity.

Ah, I see. I think that is where my confusion came from.

The only jiu jitsu ive learned so far (100% self tought) is gracie jiu jitsu. This isnt really a very "sport" style. However, in my search to finally start learning Jiu Jitsu with a real teacher, i foudn this place. They call their style "sport jiu jitsu". Do you guys have any experience with this , and if it can also apply to real life self defence as Gracie Jiu Jistu can?

I should have mentioned this earlier. Any school with a qualified teacher is going to be better and safer than trying to learn on your own.

Did you check out the school yet? Does it have a website for us to see?