• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Football season is here!!!

bushido_man96

Just think, your team has more SB wins as the ravens, than they did when they were the browns. I know you hate the steelers, but i respect and fear the ravens whenever they play against our team. I don't think either team would be as good if they didn't have to play each other 2 or 3 times a year. Thats just me though i love a good hard hitting defence, and the steelers and ravens are always ranked at the top on defence.

Don't get me wrong, I love to watch the teams play HOWEVER I'm soooo tired of Balti being on the losing end :P

I was at the sunday night game this year when Troy stripped the ball from Flacco.... then Flacco threw the ball at the TE's feet on 4th down to end the game :x I was ready to jump in the harbor after the game :lol: I was dancing around the house for the first half of the divisional playoffs, then I was crying in my beer the second half :bawling:

Don't get me started on the AFC Championship last year :kaioken: For some reason, Big Ben owns the Ravens.

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all you football fans, can anyone give me a good link to some info on how american football works., I tried wiki but it was a bit advanced and didn't explain the simpler concepts before the more confusing ones. I watched the superbowl but thats about it 3am is a little late all of us were falling asleep in our snacks and beer. I get whats going on with the scoring and the advancing 10 yards you have 4 downs, but really have no idea about the postions people play and what they do. I pretty much know the quarterback throws the ball and someone catches.

I did enjoy the superbowl, the team I picked to support decided not to win but I had no idea what team was the best

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Hey Jay,

In addition to what Bob said, this might be helpful:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook

Especially this: http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/beginnersguidetofootball

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks,

Patrick

Hey Jay,

In addition to what Bob said, this might be helpful:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook

Especially this: http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/beginnersguidetofootball

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks,

Patrick

Oh, those are good links too...Patrick, thanks for adding those for Jay. This is what I'd call...teamwork!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think you have to watch a bunch of football to understand the game. The basics are easy, just like with any sport, but the intricacies, such as intentional grounding, take some time to pick up. It's the same with rugby union vs rugby league. My Aussie friend kept trying to tell me the difference, and I kind of got it, but I had to watch a few games of each to pick up the differences.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Would any of you say that American Football [NFL] is difficult for someone to grasp because...

A) Unfamiliarity

B) Uninterested/ing

C) Unclear

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'd say it's a combination of the three. American football is only really popular in the US. It's hard to find elsewhere. Rugby is probably better known.

The games can get slow. Most people are used to continuous action games like soccer and rugby. The clock doesn't stop, and neither does play. That makes up for a lack of scoring. When there are low scoring games in American football, unless you love defense, it gets boring. American football is a lot of stop and go, which brings us to our next point.

Rules like holding and face-masking are pretty clear, but things like the line of scrimmage, ineligible man downfield (try explaining that one), the tuck rule, how to make a lineman eligible (it's been done more than you'd think), and legal vs illegal shifting aren't so easy to figure out.

Also, high school, college, and professional football have unique rules. In high school faceguarding is illegal, but something like say the fumblerooskie can still be used. University rules are closer to professional, but pass interference isn't as big (15 yards as opposed to spot of the foul). So yeah, I can see it getting confusing.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Would any of you say that American Football [NFL] is difficult for someone to grasp because...

A) Unfamiliarity

B) Uninterested/ing

C) Unclear

It has to be interesting, or the people who made fun of you for playing D&D back in the day wouldn't be asking you to join their fantasy football league. :P

My fists bleed death. -Akuma