• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

can point fighters really fight

While many of the top fighters may not spend a significant amount of time in TKD point sparring tournaments. Most of them incorperate SEMI-contact matches in thier training to develope effective combinations and strategies in the ring. I do not know anyone who ONLY trains full contact.

Point sparring can certainly help your hand eye coordination, give you an additional arena in which to develope effective combinations, and definately help to increase your stamina. All of which can be VERY usefull in a real situation.

"The bottom line is someone who does point sparring will NEVER be as good as somene who fights full contact."

This statement has no merit at all. I have personally seen a famous professional boxer get the snot beat out of him by someone with out any training whatsoever.(outside of the ring) To say that just because someone trains full contact that they are automatically better than anyone who doesn't is COMPLETELY IGNORANT. Any professional fighter will tell you "NEVER underestimate your opponent".

What about the fighter who trains both full and semi contact? Should that person give up all other aspects of their training and only train with full contact fighting.

Robert

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TJS, you feel insulted by my comments? Well I'm terribly sorry, but you have to know that I feel quite insulted when you and your train of bashers start insulting things that I respect. And about your last comment, you are stereotyping and are being biased when you matter-of-factly state that a point fighter will NEVER, yes you said never and you emphasized it by capitalizing it fully, be as good as one who fights full contact. True, a full contact fighter USUALLY has the advantage over the point fighter. However, the issue of "point fighter vs. full contact fighter" was not an issue in this thread. I am stating that point fighting is somewhat similar to real fighting and can help develop skills to help in a real fight. You reply to my arguments by stating something completely off topic.

TJS, so you are denying that point sparring helps develop the skills that I mentioned? Or do you deny that those skills are useful in a real fight? Would you please bother to explain why, instead of giving some faulty evidence?

About your evidence, you seem to think that because most point fighters will get defeated handily in a NHB ring by what you call a "real fighter" (which is probably a NHB fighter), they suck at fighting in reality. Sorry, but I am afraid to say that you are wrong. First of all, most "real fighters"/NHB fighters are a combination of boxing and HEAVY on grappling skills. If you bothered to do a bit of research, you would discover that NHB rules DO favor grapplers. I find myself repeating the same thing to have you understand it. The only effects that point sparring will have on your fighting abilities are positive ones. A lot of positive effects, actually, especially compared to other methods of martial arts training. Point sparring is a simulation (though somewhat watered down) of a real fight, and helps develops skills needed in one. I have an great desire to know why you think that point sparring is nothing like real fighting (which is fighting outside of the ring usually against an untrained fighter) and why you think it will not benefit your fighting ability.