• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

can point fighters really fight

point fighting is good to help people train in their speed and reflexes however, when a seasoned point fighter goes into a kickboxing match they usually kick or punch and then stand their and admire what they had just acomplished and then take a bunch of hits from their opponant....personally im not a big fan of point fighting....i do think it is quite boring to watch and after watching many point fights i hardly believe that tapping a guy with a back fist or a roundhouse is a real definite hit..... alot of the guys i fight with now come from a point sparring background and i have seen the hurdles that they had to have jump just to get rid of the bad habits such as stopping after scoring a punch or a kick or not being able to recover after a kick to throw punches that have and real solidity to them.

in response to bjjbarbie there are many clubs in canada that only specialize in point sparring in their karate programs. alot of these fighters are very good at what they do - they are excellent kickers however in a kickboxing match or the street you are not gonna be able to chase somebody over a distance of about 5 meters with a rep kick....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let be clear about one thing. Point sparring helps to hone technique, speed, reflexes. Also it helps teach a person how to deal with strikes and blows. I don't know about you all, but the gear padding that I use is not that thick and we don't pull punches or kicks. We have had Knock outs and knock downs at my gym. So, it might not be street fighting but it gets pretty close...

In search of the Temple of Light

POint fighting can help yet it can hurt to. I have fought in many bouts and just happened to be on the winning side of most of them. Point fighting can help your reflexes, conditioning, and focus. Yet if you have learned such guards as the general cover block get rid of them they are useless in a real fight. Plus most dojos teach other things also I know mine does and if it dont find another one!!!I like pf and it has its place and can help. But if you do happen to get in a real fight remember it is a REAL fight.and get real people who is gonna to forget.

If you guys dont think that point fighters can fight, you are making a huge generalization. Go on down to a BKF school or to the Pachecos. Keep in mind that you must change your tactics in point fights, but that doesnt mean that you cant fight.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

• 3 months later...

In my style(Koei-kan) we hit hard to the body and light contact is allowed to the face. Then we also have Bogu which is full contact with armor(head gear, face mask, chest protection).

As far as the point thing goes I'll put it this way....I recently competed in our styles international tournament. I took home a 4th place medal along with bruised ribs and a cracked bone in my foot. People were hitting hard. I think that although the injury thing sucks, this is the way point sparring needs to be. If you can hit hard and be hit hard, its much more realistic. When its light contact only, this is not very realistic.

I have seen brown or black belts from other styles come to train in Koei-kan and be suprised by the fact that they get hit! In the styles they came from there was no contact allowed. Now after training for a while in our dojo....trust me...they hit!

My point......just because it is "point" karate dosen't automatically mean it's soft.

Sorry for my rude response to this foolery, but YOU ARE IDIOTS. If you think that point sparring training is useless for a real fight, I seriously would like to know who taught you that (if anyone). Listen up. Point sparring, as you have probably heard millions of times but have not responded to, develops your skill, reflexes, speed, strength, ability to dodge, accuracy, form, and ability to spot openings in your opponent's defense. While training EXCLUSIVELY in VERY light contact sparring under a judge at ALL times MAY develop bad habits, a sensible person will not view a street opponent as a point sparring partner (when it comes to kicking power). This is the analogy of a soccer player viewing an opponent on the street as a soccer ball and kicking it as a soccer player would. I am angered by people who matter-of-factly state that things (such as TKD and point sparring) "useless", when it usually isn't unless the person using the skills is an absolute idiot. I mean, how many people are gonna do a roundhouse kick to the head which would leave their groin absolutely unprotected?

Sorry for my rude response to this foolery, but YOU ARE IDIOTS. If you think that point sparring training is useless for a real fight, I seriously would like to know who taught you that (if anyone). Listen up. Point sparring, as you have probably heard millions of times but have not responded to, develops your skill, reflexes, speed, strength, ability to dodge, accuracy, form, and ability to spot openings in your opponent's defense. While training EXCLUSIVELY in VERY light contact sparring under a judge at ALL times MAY develop bad habits, a sensible person will not view a street opponent as a point sparring partner (when it comes to kicking power). This is the analogy of a soccer player viewing an opponent on the street as a soccer ball and kicking it as a soccer player would. I am angered by people who matter-of-factly state that things (such as TKD and point sparring) "useless", when it usually isn't unless the person using the skills is an absolute idiot. I mean, how many people are gonna do a roundhouse kick to the head which would leave their groin absolutely unprotected?

Ask any top fighter in the world how often they point spar..or try to find any that do...oh wait...none of them do..my bad.

who cares about their groin? they are off balance - step in and sweep them... oh wait - you can't do that in point sparring, so you probably didn't think of it.

Look at point sparring rules - you can jump in the air and backfist a person on top of the head (yeah, I've seen it done) you WILL get a point for it. In real life, you only reward would be broken ribs. All of the attributes you mentioned will also be developed in full contact fighting, and the competition is more conducive to what you will be experiencing in the street.

Ask any top fighter in the world how often they point spar..or try to find any that do...oh wait...none of them do..my bad.

Once again you prove your complete ignorance to what I said. First off, you completely disregard what I listed as the benefits of point sparring. If you bothered to pay attention, you would discover that becoming a top tournament fighter was not one of them. I said that point sparring helps develop skills and abilities that would be useful in a real fight. And in response to your somewhat sarcastic remark, I don't have the access to what you call a "top fighter", and I'm sure that if I wasted the time to do a detailed enough search, I would find one that has point sparred at one time or another. But that is completely off topic.

who cares about their groin? they are off balance - step in and sweep them... oh wait - you can't do that in point sparring, so you probably didn't think of it.

I am surprised at the ignorance of your remark. I was simply saying that kicking high makes you very vulnerable, for example leaving your groin unprotected. And in response to your last part, you are saying that training in point sparring robs you of logic? Interesting philosophy, though somewhat dim-witted.

Look at point sparring rules - you can jump in the air and backfist a person on top of the head (yeah, I've seen it done) you WILL get a point for it. In real life, you only reward would be broken ribs. All of the attributes you mentioned will also be developed in full contact fighting, and the competition is more conducive to what you will be experiencing in the street

Why is it that all TKD/point sparring bashers seem to think that all TKD practitioners/point sparrers are idiots? Please don't tell me that you think that a point sparrer with half a brain would do that in a real fight. And while all of the attributes will surely be developed during full contact fighting to a much greater degree, that does not mean that point sparring does not have a good amount of benefits and developments to fighting ability.

said that point sparring helps develop skills and abilities that would be useful in a real fight.

I just think it's intresting that these skills help them in "Real" fights but if you put any point fighter against a real fighter in a ring thety get beat to bloody mess...and please dont tell me how it's not "real fighing".

The bottom line is someone who does point sparring will NEVER be as good as somene who fights full contact.

BTW one of the mods will proabably lock this if you dont clean up the "insulting" comments...I dont care but i just dont like sseing threads locked all the time.