• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

can point fighters really fight

On 2002-05-04 01:04, Lau gar wrote:

is the difference to big between point fights and real fights :karate:

Point fighting to me is almost like tag your it, light to medium contact, supposedly :wink: if you rock the head or draw the red stuff, that can be excessive force using UTK (United Tournament Karate) rules, real or street (bar, wedddings,etc.) fighting can be performed without any rules, judges or referees :grin:, well, that's just my view on the fist to cuffs...

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

cheers..

[ This Message was edited by: jakmak52 on 2002-05-10 21:09 ]

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point sparring ain't the best but it ain't all that bad. It teches you to go in without taking hits and can help build up defense. And about the pulling ur punches thing. My karate dojo does point sparring...i have no trouble watsoever not pulling punches. In fact there have been very few matches in class or in tournaments where I haven't got a warning from judges :lol: However, i think a complete lack of full-contact is not as good as some. I plan to create my own style and open a school one day...i won't have full-contact all the time...that would be un-necessary and probably do more damage to the students than it was worth...oh well, w/e

"Live free.

Die well..."

point fight is nothing like a street fight. but don't go off saying a point fighter can't street fight. It's 2 different things. You know, some people can actually do it all. You do get bad habits from point fighting, learning too many rules and actually you might find yourself obeying them in a real fight (scary thought). however, you do get speed, your reaction time is a lot better. Being able to take a hit is based on the person, some people are just wimps. Just remember martial arts was made for self defense and not scoring points, train hard in point fighting but never stop training for the real thing.

[ This Message was edited by: crazydee on 2002-06-01 00:15 ]

• 2 weeks later...
Gentlemen, we seem to be having a little problem with this subject. Many have made good points for both sides, but what we all must remember is that 9 out of 10 times it depends on the individual fighter not the style of fighting that someone does. To address the point of whether or not a point fighter can take a punch or not I remember Dan Severn saying "I have never been one to want to take a punch" and Bill Wallace saying "pain hurts". The purpose of point fighting is to not get hit. I fight point and full-contact plus I box regularly, so I guess that means I can't take a punch because I point fight. The individual fighter must be able to make a distinction betwean fighting full-contact and point fighting. Now if any of the anti-point fighters want to make a deal out of nothing, remember that most of the point fighters train for a specific type of fighting and they could change the training and fight in another style of fighting if they chose to.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A CLUB THAT JUST SPECIFIES IN POINT SPARRING....MOST PEOPLE DO POINT SPARRING SIMPLY AS A SPORT/FUN....MOST P.F HAVE KNWLEDGE IN EITHER FULL CONTACT OR SELF DEFENCE AS THAT IS WHAT THERE STYLE WILL ALSO TEACH!!!.....

P.S....U WOULDNT LOOK AT A BJJ'IST AND DETERMINE THEY HAVE NO STAND UP ABILITY JUST BECAUSE OF THE TOURNAMENT THEY HAVE ENTERED IN OR THE CLUB THEY BELONG TOO!!!

boo!

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A CLUB THAT JUST SPECIFIES IN POINT SPARRING....MOST PEOPLE DO POINT SPARRING SIMPLY AS A SPORT/FUN....MOST P.F HAVE KNWLEDGE IN EITHER FULL CONTACT OR SELF DEFENCE AS THAT IS WHAT THERE STYLE WILL ALSO TEACH!!!.....

P.S....U WOULDNT LOOK AT A BJJ'IST AND DETERMINE THEY HAVE NO STAND UP ABILITY JUST BECAUSE OF THE TOURNAMENT THEY HAVE ENTERED IN OR THE CLUB THEY BELONG TOO!!!

:karate:

boo!

You can theorize all you want about the difference between point, full, continuous, or any other "sanctioned" sparring events, if the event (tournament/competition) is using UTK rules, judges /referees will and does subtract points if certain contact rocks the cranium...point of contact (target area), control, speed, and delivery are paramount to scoring well. I'm not quite sure as the reference to a "real" fight , please enlighten me :smile:

Peace

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's a bit like touch vs. tackle rugby football isn't it...

Can point fighters fight? Well, of course they can "fight". A punch is a punch. Are they as well conditioned as someone who fights full contact - probably not.

I think the difference is more psychological than technique. The difference is how you apply the techniques, not the actual technique.

In a point fight, you generally don't hit full force. Nor do you constantly lay into your partner with the intent of rendering them unconscious. When doing "friendly" sparring we don't take anything too far.

In a "real" or full contact fight, I WOULD be striking full force, which is infinitely harder than I hit when sparring. Also I would not give the opponent a break, or let up if they take a fall or seem a bit worse for wear. My combos would be coming as fast and hard as I could make them.

Also I'd be less worried about trivial, but "technically point scoring" blows from my opponent, than I would be about knees to the groin, biting, joint locks, hidden weapons being pulled, etc.

However, that is all that changes. The mechanics of my punch or kick remain the same. It's all in my head. I can go easy and give you a little tap through weaknesses in your guard, while blocking or dodging your strikes, or I can go totally agro and unleash my full fury right in your face.

I don't consider myself a "point figher" or a "full contact fighter" or anything, just a martal artist and karateka.

I let my opponent lay down the terms of the fight. I'm willing to fight full contact if my opponent wants to. Of course I'd like at least gloves, pref a sparring helmet as well because I value my brain. Also its not something I'd want to seek out daily...I'm not training to beat Lennox Lewis or anything.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

• 6 months later...
I agree that point fighting will be useless in a real fight but if you put a begginer straight in at full contact the chances are they will either be apprehensive to go forward or be too aggresive and fly in leaving themselves open to powerful shots. Even if you slowly introduce them to semi-contact the chances are that they won't have the control to keep it that light and it'll end up full contact. I think introducing them to point fighting alows them the time and confidence to use their techniques. The next step would be to say that the individual only achieves a point if he follows his intital point strike with another. It encourages them to follow up on their technique. Try it guys, then slowly build to three then ease them into semi contact. Remember if their serious about learning then they will be around long enough for you to do this!

"I didn't lose!!! I just ran out of time to figure out how to beat him."

(Thai-Kick-Jitsu, Blue Belt)