• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

can point fighters really fight

I'm a points fighter and regularly knock people out and break peoples ribs. Can i not really fight?

The trick is to be relaxed and make it look semi-contact. :grin: I'm always surprised when boxers get knocked out with punches which seem like nothing!

How much force is needed to knock someone out? or for an effective solar plexus shot?

Speed and accuracy!!

Bretty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what you're saying is NASKA champions in point fighting can't fight??? Hmmmm last I checked people like Pedro Xavier, Nasty Anderson, Ronald and Donald Brady are pretty nasty dudes. Yes they are great point fighters however, knowing their backgrounds in the Martial Arts I can guarantee they can throw down...

Pedro as a matter of fact was scheduled to fight Bill Superfoot Wallace a few years back in a full contact match but Wallace couldn't fight because he ended up having hip surgery.

Can ALL point fighters fight for real???? Prob. not but to say because they train for sport that they can't fight for real is asanine.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Again, the original question was "is the difference to big between point fights and real fights." Think what you like but there is a big difference.

Did I say NASKA champions in point fighting can't fight. No, what I said some guys are delusional to think that cause they can win a couple of tournaments that they can fight on the street. The same guy that is typically dilusional, because he feel that he is a good point fighter that he can also really fight.

I'm sure some of these guys cross train, but it won't be the training in pointfighting that makes them good.

Anyone can fight, trained or not. Everyone has a certain natural ability. I believe that point fighters get a false sense of security, eventually believing that they actually fight.

Bretty 101 you regularly knock peple out and break their ribs, in what point fighting? Again obviously there is a big difference in ability, or there is something wrong with your opponent's fighting style. I thought a KO in most point sparring competitions was an automatic DQ.

I've watched numerous point fighting matches, and what works for medal winning point fighters, would get your butt kicked in an actual fight. Again people commit themselves so much for a feeble point, they leave themselves wide open.

I have seen some gus move from point sparring to full contact, but they had to change they way they trained in order to be successful. Other guys that didn't change got a beating. Same thing for those who train without head contact, real life will catch up to you sometime, and then what?

Sport Tae Kwon Do another perfect example of pretty useless training for the street. While traditional TKD may be effective, training sport TKD without punches to the head, (or to the body cause it's hard to score points), does nothing but develop bad habits for a real fight. There is a good muay thai video kicking around that illustrates that, and I have a good video from the Tiger Balms that shoes showing a this as well for both a point fighter, and a tkd practitioner fighting full contact.

False sense of security is a wonderful thing...

First off I'll admit that I'm a point fighter and that I would get smoked in a real fight by an NHBer. But we mostly train for the streets. Its only our competition team that gets different techniques for tournaments only. The big thing is to be able to tell the difference. In point fighting, I'll throw 5 kicks at someone's head without dropping my foot. But I know that if I get in a fight like with my friend Connie who's reading this, she'd grab that leg and beat me. It's all in knowing how to do it.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

First off I'll admit that I'm a point fighter and that I would get smoked in a real fight by an NHBer. But we mostly train for the streets. Its only our competition team that gets different techniques for tournaments only. The big thing is to be able to tell the difference. In point fighting, I'll throw 5 kicks at someone's head without dropping my foot. But I know that if I get in a fight like with my friend Connie who's reading this, she'd grab that leg and beat me. It's all in knowing how to do it.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

Iron Arahat you said:

"Again, the original question was "is the difference to big between point fights and real fights." Think what you like but there is a big difference. "

Actually the original question was Can point fighters really fight.....

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Anyone can really fight...

The whole first statement was:

Subject:can point fighters really fight

Body:is the difference to big between point fights and real fights :karate:

The answer then is yes point fighters can fight (like any other living being whether it's you, your neighbour or your grandmother), but there is a big difference between point fights and real fights.

Knowing the difference between sport and reality is important. Even knowing the difference between point sparring and full contact is a big difference. I wouldn't hesitate to say that an average boxer could take out a point fighter.

I think a good analogy of point sparring to full contact sparring is comparing amateur boxing to professional boxing.

In amateur boxing the emphasis is on points in pro boxing the emphasis is on knock out. Does that mean an amateur boxer can't box? can't knock someone out?

In point sparring the emphasis is on points not knock out, but we still knock each other out. I've seen some cracking knockouts in point sparring got a video of my friend putting his nose back into place and then start sparring again. People only get disqualified if doing swinging punches or uncontrolled moves.

This is something else, i've seen peopple get TKO'd in points sparring given 30 seconds to recover and get back up and carry on fighting. Thats not allowed in full contact!!! (admittedly you don't get 30 seconds in a real fight maye theres the difference!)

Bretty

[ This Message was edited by: Bretty101 on 2002-05-10 03:52 ]

Both amatuer and pro boxing have knockouts, and the focus in both can be going for the KO if you have that kind of power. Both also focus on points, just the scorring system for amatuer bouts are different. There are no changes in the techniques, or contact areas, or the amount of power thrown in pro or amatuer boxing. No real difference other than the amatuer fighters will wear equipment to protect their heads.

TKO and 30 seconds to recover is fine, but in a real fight there is no time to recover as you admitted. Full contact does not permit the fighting after 30 seconds for the safety of the fighter.

In my past I've seen alot of actors in pont sparring, trying to draw penalties.

I'm just curious what "swinging punches" are.

Point fighting is still not comparable to a real fight.

Just a couple quick points: Bill Wallace trained as a point fighter prior to entering full contact matches where he dominated.

I would agree that if you train full contact, you have an advantage over someone who trains non/semi-contact. Put simply, your training habits become just that, habits. I would not recommend point fight training for real-life situations but I also would not discount the abilities of all point fighters as evidenced by certain brutal asskickers in and around the point circuit. :grin:

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"