• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

can point fighters really fight

To put a point fighter in the UFC is just as unfair as putting a UFC fighter in a point fighting competion. The fighter representing their discipline will most likely win because that is how they trained. I would say that someone training for no holds barred would have an advantage in some aspects but in others the point fighter.

Point fighters need to be quick and have fast reflexes so on the street that will be a major advantage. Chances are they will attack and be done before their opponent even knows.

N.H.B. fighters have an advantage of being all around tough guys who can take a beaten. Taking one of these guys out would be harder because of their conditioning. However, most N.H.B. fighter favor ground fighting which isn't as practical on the street esp. against multiple opponents.

Either way... any Martial Artist no matter what they train for would have a slight advantage over the average street thug.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one of the early UFC's Don Wilson talked about getting in it. There have been almost 40 now and he has not. However I would like to see and young Don Wilson or Norris or another chapion kickboxer go into some NHB event.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I am a supporter of point sparring. I think there was a similiar post on this topic. I believe a martial artist should do both point sparring and continuous sparring. Point sparring trains you to look for openings, which benefits you during continuous sparring. Furthermore, point sparring trains you to control your power. Yes the contact is light in point sparring, but when you're in a fight you shouldn't always hit with the same power intensity level. You'll have to adjust your power. I wouldn't recommend fighting full contact on the street, since you can break a guys bones and probably get sued! Anyway, I wouldn't recommend point sparring alone. You must do both point sparring and continuous sparring to get the most out of sparring

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

:roll:

koreantiger81 said "I wouldn't recommend fighting full contact on the street, since you canbreak a guys bones and probably get sued."

What would you recommend look for an opening and go for the point, and after making contact look to your friends (judges) who are watching to see if you scored the point? Only to get smashed across the face by your opponent, who believes a street fight is exactly that a street fight...no rules, no judges, and full contact.

As for any martial artist having an advantage over a street thug think again. I've seen guys who have never set foot in a studio, that can roll of their bar stool half-cocked, and take it to the average black belt. Why because they learned to fight, not point spar.

I've seen point fighting at numerous events where an attacker will score the point, albiet fast, but to the same extent leaves themselves wide open. That point sparrer better KO everone he hits with that first punch or he is in trouble. I'd go with in trouble.

As for point fighters fighting multiple opponent's, well I guess they could accumilate a few quick points, before being beaten badly...

Point sparring is a game nothing more...participate in point sparring if you want to have fun in the name of sport, not if you want to learn to fight.

I train in many ways. I do enjoy the sport aspect of the martial arts and I believe that area has helped me tremendously. However, I also train the practical side. I do point fighting, continuous fighting, and also train anything goes fighting. I want to excell in every aspect of the martial arts. My main objective isn't for self defense. If my Martial Arts doesn't help me on the street I also carry a handgun so I do have a back-up.

I think everyone should train in all areas of fighting as it can only help in their training. By training in only one no matter which one it will only limit what you can learn and where you can advance.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

I believe that not training in point sparring will not hinder your martial arts ability. In fact I believe that that type of training will only limit your ability.

I find it mildly amusing that people have stated that there are more KO's in point fighting, which would indicate poor fighting skill, or at least fight defense.

I'd ditch the gun..and train the martial arts alot harder, because when you shoot someone your going to need your martial arts to defend against that guy you'll be bunking with in the state pen...

Well here in Boston the law states if you warn your attacker that you are carrying and they still attack then you are covered. IF the person is bigger than you, multiple attackers or weilding a weapon then the handgun is legal. Chances are if you pull a gun on someone they will not stick around long enough for you to shoot them.

Pete

Plus I would never pull it unless I was prepared to use it.

Well have fun in court, most people's misconceptions of laws like that get them in trouble. Even if that was the law you can look forward to being interviewed by the police, the possibility of being remanded in custody until a trial date, paying lots of cash for lawyers and so forth.

Stick a gun in someones face is the US and I'm sure they can find a lawyer that can sue you for emotional distress.

I would rather go to court for an assault charge than a firearms charge, because carrying a gun alone in most courts shows that you have the intent already to hurt someone.

The original question was "is the difference to big between point fights and real fights," and simply put the answer to this is "yes".

If you think that point fighting makes you a good fighter, enter a full contact competition, and see how well you do, or do some NHB. If you think that there isn't much of a difference between point and continous with less than 100% power or no leg contact or face contact, I hope you never get in a fight.

If your going to do pointfighting do it as a sport for fun, and better health. Don't think you'll be able to take care of yourself if you win a couple of NASKA type tournaments. Don't think that your going to beat the guy to the punch and KO him on the street, just like point fighting.