can point fighters really fight

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a select few can do well. More so than learing to hit. Point fighters don't know how to take a hit. Add to that kicks to the legs and takedowns are not usually allowed in point tournaments.

Again anything can happend but Ill take a NHB fighter anyday over a point guy.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I disagree with most of you on this topic. Yes, point fighting is not the most aggressive of fighting out there. As for taking a hit, I've seen more knockouts in point fighting than the UFC. At my old school, it was primarily a competion only school but when they would train in the dojo even in point fighting they hit VERY hard.

Point fighting teaches you speed and to put together combinations. Yes it isn't the most realistic way to fight but it is useful. I wouldn't train to only fight for points but if you can combine point fighting with full contact then you can learn a lot.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

There are more KO's in point fighting, only because of a poor defence. I have seen point fighters crouch in a fight to have a smaller target area, and keep their hands low to try and protect their body from kicks.

All I can say is that if in full contact there is less KO's than that of point sparring, there is a major flaw on those point fighter's defence.

Point fighting developes bad habits for self defence. If your doing it for sport fine...otherwise your just wasting your time.

Point fighting and the training for point fighting has several merits including the development of agility, speed, coordination, strength, channeling of power, and controlling of bodily movements, etc. However, due to the fact that most point fighters train intensively within the rules, and also towards the goal of scoring points rather than towards practical striking or takedowns (grappling, locking, grabbing, etc.), I think many of us would have to admit that there are somewhat better and more efficient ways to train for street brawls and real-life fighting or self-defense. :smile: :smile:

It's not about getting what you want. It's about wanting what you've got. :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: spinninggumby on 2002-05-04 19:18 ]

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'