• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hook kick most underated move

The hook kick is a great kick. I have won many karate tournements with it. Also if you are known for throwing a good hook, then fake hook and then throw sidekick. They both start out the same way, it is a great way to throw off somebody.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with the hook is, it wont work in everyday clothes. Plus it exposes the groin and makes a takedown easier. What I do is what Andy Hug ( RIP) used to do. I used it to hit the inner thigh.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

Problem with the hook is, it wont work in everyday clothes.
Speak for yourself ... though I'm probably a bit weird as when I try any new clothes on, I always make sure in the changing room that I can do high kicks in them!!

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Kenpo i wasnt talking bout real fights here. This was for tournement application. In a real fight, i agree,it does leave the groin open.But the thing is if u hit them ,its not powerfull enough to put them out.If i throw a highkick in a real fight,its gonna be back leg cause you can get your momentum into them.

I've successfully pulled of doing a hook kick, after faking my opponent into thinking a side kick is coming. When he goes to block the side kick, usually leaving their chest unprotected, instead of streightening out my leg for the side kick, I extend it out and hook into my opponents chest. Works great, but in sparring you only get away with it once, then they know to look for it.

Kung Fu - Orange Sash *Last attended 1998

Tetsu Hei(MMA) - White Belt

Aikido - White Belt

Ju-Jitsu - White Belt

More and more in sparring I am realizing the power of the low roundhouse finished with a high hook kick to an unsuspecting target. To me it is almost like the friend combo to the multi-roundhouse in that you can mix 'em up and confuse your partner; BUT as long as you are about as fast a speedy gonzales, because some people do know how to dodge or block.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• 2 weeks later...