• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the low hook as a sweep.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Fake a low roundhouse, let it swing past your opponent. He will likely lower his guard. Reverse it into a hook to the head. you have to do this one FAST to be effective in competition. Use it against a blocker.

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

A spinning hook kick can be one of the most devistating kicks if properly executed. It is one of my favorite techniques. I love to set people up both offensively and defensively and then stuff them with a spin hook.

Offensively- Throw a roundhouse kick to the body getting your opponent to drop his hands to block then step down and bring the spin hook around to his face.

Defensively- Set the person up to attack you. As he commits side step a bit and catch him in the jaw with the spin hook kick. This kick works well in this scenario but a spin back kick works even better...

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Well a hook kick is a good move but I don't use it often because I really don't have good chances or enough time to hit my guy with a hook kick :nod:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

• 4 weeks later...
hook kick is a very very effective move. I will be explaining the normal hook, the spinning is a whole other story. Personally I find a hook kick most effective in point fighting as a defensive weapon. Someone is pulling into you with a bunch of kicks, lean back real far and pull a hook on them. the lower you can get your head to the ground the better. aim for the head. It works good if your bodies are facing the same directions. Example, you are right side foward and they are left side, but it works no matter which way they are standing if you aim for the head. their are veriations, you can cross a hook and ax kick and that move right there has won me many fights. I kinda described it in another post and maybe I'll make a topic just on that kick for those interested. The more you know, the better. Oh yeah, one more thing, hook kick works good on most dashes, including dash backfists, or any punch really. Also try a lil side step at an angle when they dash in before you throw the hook kick. I know I missed a lot of other lil technical issues with the hook kick but in time and practice most people figure it out on their own and develope their own ways of using the hook kick.

Ugh. Hook and spin kicks are the bane of my existence... But that's just because I'm not any good at them yet. That and cartwheels are the summer's goals... :wink:

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won