• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

jump kicks; when did you learn them?

PlasmaShock

talking of motorbike charges, a few months ago i saw one of those bounty hunter programs and they were trying to catch this guy on a motorbike. basically, the guy on the bike charged and one of the bounty hunters clotheslined him off WWF style :D

Like the scene in Hard Target with Van Damme, where he kicks the guy off the bike. Ouch!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in shotokan there is jumping kicks and we do learn them at 3rd kyu level, some people dont do them in shotokan but why? they are shotokan techniques so why not learn them it makes no sense to me!!!

"When I punch, I do not hit, it hits all by itself."

Bruce Lee

in shotokan there is jumping kicks and we do learn them at 3rd kyu level, some people dont do them in shotokan but why? they are shotokan techniques so why not learn them it makes no sense to me!!!
Many people will practise thses in Kata only. It's not uncommon, there are many many techniques that pepole don't include in their training other than Kata. Hiza Geri just happens to be one of them.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

dude, i think you got mixed up

hiza geri is in the knees thread, this is the jump kick thread.

Now you use head for something other than target.

We don't really learn them as such, they are not a staple part of our syllabus but they do appear in several kata. We tend to start more advanced moves at 5th kyu blue belt - in their second kata there is a jump and block.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

In my TKD school, the only form that has a jump kick in it is Choong Moo, which is a brown belt (1st grade) form. We do have some jump kicks in one-steps, and in basics as well.

Jump kicks are traditional. By I agree, I don't find them of a whole lot of use.

Yeah, I guess your right. I just never associate them as such because most of our kicks are targeted below the waist, and I can't think of one of our kata's that has a jumping kick, or a high kick, in it. Even though we train kicking higher to gain balance and power in our low kicks.

We are a Shotokan school. Our instructor did show us jump kicks but it was for demonstration purposes. You know, to make things look flashy. We did have to learn the jump kick for Kanku Dai. I do not feel jump kicks are appropriate for sparring. It is too obvious when someone is going to do it. We have young black belts who love it and I warned them about using it. Next time I sparred one of the kids who used it on me, I took him down. After that, they all were hoping to spar someone who would jump so they could take them down. Don't know if I proved anything at all there.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.