• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

jump kicks; when did you learn them?

PlasmaShock

a jump kick is a great first move for sparring. ive done it quite a few times that i have just launched my self and done a flying sidekick and freaked the oponent out. from then on you can fake the launch and get them with a lot of techniques.

Do that to someone with any experience and it is suicide. It leaves you too vulnerable and its all or nothing.

The last person that launched themselves at me in that fashion lande about 8-10 ft past me on their rump.

All it takes is a little sidestep and parry and their on momentem carries them a long way.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was taught a flying side kick at 6th Kyu. So Ryu had, at the time, a kata named Bei Rei which had a left foot flying side kick in it that was learned at the green belt level. Farther than that there was Chinto and Kusanku which had jump kicks that were taught as brown belts. Although the kata was taught at the brown belt level we learned them as part of advanced basics so that we could prepare for using them

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Trust me, the last thing you would want to do with me would be a flying kick - the landing would be quite rough and we don't use mats either...

Flying kicks actually don't have much use or effective ness. They are slow and take valuable time away from "reactive" responses. If you were to train with some of the Karate-ka I trained with, you get about 0.60" of an inch off the floor before you hit the ground with your demise...

If you are lucky enough to catch someone from the blind back side, and you were to have enough time for a running start to carry your momentum, I "might" re-consider my position on the use of this technique. However, I would not ever take that chance even under those circumstances.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

coming from TKD, jump kicks were developed to dismount attackers from their horse esp the spinning ones. so unless you have somoene on a motorbike charging you, you dont need super height on your jumping kicks.

what is good for a jump kick is distance, i can make up a good 2 or three metres from 1 step with a nice jump front kick. you may not hit with it, but the oponent will be worried about the kick to try to attack back than if you just made the distance up by stepping or rushing them.

I find it hard to belive that if someone wants to fight they would motorbike charge you rather than just confronting you instead(unless they're insane :brow: ). plus if you kick someone off a horse or moving object, that could snap you leg, throw you off balance and make you land very dangrously(like on your head, neck or arm).

talking of motorbike charges, a few months ago i saw one of those bounty hunter programs and they were trying to catch this guy on a motorbike. basically, the guy on the bike charged and one of the bounty hunters clotheslined him off WWF style :D

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

coming from TKD, jump kicks were developed to dismount attackers from their horse esp the spinning ones. so unless you have somoene on a motorbike charging you, you dont need super height on your jumping kicks.

what is good for a jump kick is distance, i can make up a good 2 or three metres from 1 step with a nice jump front kick. you may not hit with it, but the oponent will be worried about the kick to try to attack back than if you just made the distance up by stepping or rushing them.

I find it hard to belive that if someone wants to fight they would motorbike charge you rather than just confronting you instead(unless they're insane :brow: ). plus if you kick someone off a horse or moving object, that could snap you leg, throw you off balance and make you land very dangrously(like on your head, neck or arm).

That's his whole point. He was saying that in today's society, they are not useful because no-one would charge you from a bike or horse.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I happen to agree that a flying kick as a first move isn't such a bad idea if you are confident they are not confident to block it, it can really put them off right from the get go.

As I don't like jump kicks personally, I use the same principle sometimes, but just with a loud "Kiai" and a heavy hand strike.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I happen to agree that a flying kick as a first move isn't such a bad idea if you are confident they are not confident to block it, it can really put them off right from the get go.

i agree, it depends on how ready they are for it. there are certain moves we have in kendo that actually put you in a very disadvantageous position momentarily, but they work because they surprise the opponent. i think the flying kick is a bit like this.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

yeh, obviously its not going to work against everyone. it would depend on how confident you are with the flying kick too.

in my hey day (years ago) i have made some decent BBs cower with a series of jumping attacks.

having said that, there are some people that i wouldnt even think of flying at. but i would use a gliding kick, (think jumping kick, but distance instead of height) to gain distance on an opponent.

Now you use head for something other than target.