• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Close range Karate sytle

Robin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ryu-te is very close range, I just officially started today lol.

It's like a perfect mixture of traditional karate and Wing Chun.. I LOVE it.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

Thanks all for your excellent responses and tips.

The problem remains that I am still in need of a good school. Anyone know/heard of one? Google et al simply do not provide good results. All I see is "popular" martial arts oriented towards family and kids. Although kids and family are important (I have both!) I don't feel that it would be a good place for me to practice martial arts.

More to the point: in dire need of a good traditional Goju Ryu Karate school or traditional Wing Chun school in the greater Minneapolis area. Help!

Thanks,

- Robin

I've seen that documentary. I guy I know has it on tape, its pretty good. The style that she's working in is Goju. It was pretty cool because she actually filmed about a dozen of the Okinawan Karate master's practicing their kata together.

Also cool was the beginning of the show when she was practicing kata on the beach. She was doing an old Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu version of Fukyu Gata Ni, which isn't even practiced by the head organization any more. What was really pretty neat about it, is that she was doing it with different dynamics than we use, she was using more of a Goju breathing technique with her middle blocks, that reminded me of what I've seen of Sanchin.

Isshin and Goju are both pretty close range fighting styles. I would also argue that if you get with a good group that interprets Kata correctly, most styles and most combative applications are close range. Punching or closer, clinch and grappling range. Mizu I just started RyuTe myself, albiet with a very small group that only meets once in awhile. Still I've been practicing the kata's and drills on my own. Great stuff I can't wait to delve into it more.