• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Close range Karate sytle

Robin

To the best of my understanding, in close range striking combat (non-grappling), you are forced to use mostly hands and low kicks. Balance and sensitivity are important. It's hard to react because the time scales are shorter. I would think that most striking martial arts that deal with this range, in essence, converge. It might be called differently; or it might not be as elegant as the next, but essentially, to be effective, the same guidelines should be maintained. That is, use low kicks if at all; maintain balance; try to control your opponent’s balance, hands; feel him if possible because seeing is very hard at these ranges; etc. In Wing Chun there's a whole terminology and philosophy behind this. Sensitivity drills, chi sao, etc.

Driven with that idea in my mind, I was looking for an alternative to Wing Chun, mostly because I couldn't find a decent school close to my whereabouts.

I've watched the National Geographic documentary about Karate with Josette and one specific style caught my eye. The teacher there, a bald guy, starts by giving an example of explosiveness and close range work by practicing against a tree. Later on, his dojo is shown and a very impressive (at least in my eyes) close range controlled fight. I have no idea how much of that is "live" and how much is choreographed but it was nonetheless impressive.

I have several questions to the Karate gurus of this forum:

1. How different is that style from other close range styles such as Wing Chun?

2. Do you think that my opening statement is somewhat correct?

3. What is the name of that close range Karate style?

4. Where would I find such a school in the Minneapolis west-suburbs area.

Thanks all,

- Robin

Edited by Robin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I couldn't tell you about karate, but if it helps other close range styles are Southern Mantis, and Muay Thai can be easily adapted to a close range scenario.

A decent Wing Chun school can indeed be very hard to find. I was lucky enough to find my school by word of mouth alone, and my teacher is probably the best Wing Chun teacher ever. VERY reality based, he actually punches us in the face lol. Keep lookin, and ask around especially. Ask other teachers and do some real deep research, it pays off.

As far as the karate thing goes.. I'll do some lookin around.. sounds interesting to me too...

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

It could be Goju Ryu, but I couldn't tell you for sure. As for your statements about close range, you make a very good point. I would also stress the point of closing that range to grapple, because bigger attackers would try to do so against smaller foes in order to intimidate them.

Good luck in your search, and welcome to KF, Robin! :karate:

there is a similarity in some modern freestyle forms of karate to wing chun, becayse the ideas were adopted and integrated. So a lot of karate schools may have something similar to Wing Chun in the syllabus. Try the internet for them, they're less well known but usually very active

The best armour is to keep out of range.

I watched that one on TV and i tape it. The Karate Style is in fact, Goju Ryu. and what you saw was the Bunkai of a Kata called Seiyunchin. Yes, Goju Ryu do have close-range combat. We have a training exercise called Kakie which is a version of wing chun's chi sao, a sensitive exercise for close-range combat.

Goju ryu covers a lot of stuff, besides the generic straight punch and kicks, we also use circular techniques, open hand blocks, join-locking, throwing, grappling, preasure point fighting, ki develoment. Goju is one of the few Karate styles that still keep most of its Kung Fu orginal techniques.

hope this helps

Something else to consider is to take a good look at your own training. There are a lot of subtleties to many many techniques and you may be surprised to find that there are close quarter techniques peppered throughout your style.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Something else to consider is to take a good look at your own training. There are a lot of subtleties to many many techniques and you may be surprised to find that there are close quarter techniques peppered throughout your style.

This is a good point. Techniques like upset punches and upset knifehand strikes are designed for close quarter combat, as well as stomp kicks and the like.

as others mentioned before Okinawan Goju ryu is what you looking for and kaki is semilar to wing chun hand drills, i want to add one more thing to your statment, in close range you block and strike at the same time. the kick we use in close range , we call it weep kick(not sure about the name) it means when you are hanging to the opponent and pulling him at the same time you draw your front leg behind you and swing the toe kick from there so there is no chambering in the kick, it's great in a clinch.