Orient

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at our dojo we weren't allowed to use knees in kumite, but there are a few in the kata. but its only a few, shotokan isn't big on knees.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

whose a geri?

hiza geri

HAHAHAH

(weird mood)

lol? :-?

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I am unsure about Wado-ryu Karate. I can only assume the hiza geri is technique in the system, as it is very common.

However, in Isshin-ryu Karate, the hiza geri is one of the 8 basic kicks.

Ted

sorry about that people. was being stupid.

i think knees are ok in controlled sparing such as ippon and bunkai, but could be dangerous in free sparing.

Now you use head for something other than target.

i do goju-ryu, and although their arn't any actual knees in the kata, they are their. Everytime you bring up a kick to load, you are essentially doing a knee kick.

When we do bunkai variation training we often do knees instead of kicks.

I use knees a lot when i spar to, when some gets in really close and keeps punching i grab them by the neck or shoulders, pull them down and knee them in the chest or face. :D

"good enough is the enemy of excellence"

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa

Even in point sparring, I think it could be beneficial to allow clinches and lightly applied knee strikes, just so students can get the idea of how it feels to apply them, and what its like to see them coming in.

In Kyokushin we use the knee in sparring and competition. We use it to the legs body and head.

Why is it, when all is said and done, that more is said than done - John Fitzgerald Kennedy