• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self defense

Karateka_latino

Hello,

Master Ken Funakoshi said on an magazine that Karate have only a handfull of techniques that can be applied to every situation .

Have you ever used your karate on a self defense situation or street fight?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not specifically karate, but as with evey art, crostraining is needed. I'm doing the GoJu system of karate now and i am finding that there are not many practical moves for the street, though.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

This is probably more of a general question than just Shotokan, so I am moving it to the General Forum. :smile:

I'm also taking GoJu and I have to agree with Angus that GoJu karate by it self does not have all that many parctical moves for the street and that cross training is needed. I know in my dojo we use moves from GoJu, Jujitsue and a number of other arts when we do self defence drills.

The other week, in sparring class, a woman from Kyokushin karate came to the dojo to train. I must say that she was very impressive. She could outfight the rest of the ladies and had a lot of the men on the run. I'm just glad that i had the height and strength advantage over her.

Karate such as Shotokan and Kyokushin tends to focus more on actual fighting, whereas the GoJu system is very kata heavy. I'm just glad i have the kickboxing background to fall back on for my fighting skills.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hmmmmmmmm....

Well I am sorry but I am going to have to disagree a bit with some people.

I think that karate can be used as self defence on the street.

For example - you are not going to bow at someone and step back and block, because they will just laugh at you and then kick you to bits!!!!

However.

age uke (for example) say someone was coming in with a hook punch -you then have the breathing hand (strike to the face whilst moving forwards) and the the block/strike (age uke to the neck)

Obviously you are not going to stand there in yoi waiting for them to name there attack because it dont work like that.

Any comments........? :weirdlook:

[ This Message was edited by: Bobby on 2002-05-30 12:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bobby on 2002-05-30 12:02 ]

Yeah!

I agree to a point Bobby that some of the more traditional "stuff" can be used for self defence. However, age uke is based on a reflex action anyway. What about knife hand? Spear hand? Soto ude uke? These are not normal reflexs and if changed to be looser they are no longer even traditionally karate based.

Melanie

---------------

Be nice if I get this right one day...

What about knife hand? Spear hand? Soto ude uke? These are not normal reflexs and if changed to be looser they are no longer even traditionally karate based.

Well in a way they are, (example) say if someone grabs you on the street you could first of all punch them! then use the breathing hand as a hikete and pull their arm and use the soto uke to strike their arm. I think that they can all be used in certain ways. It's just how you train them.

Yeah!