Karateka_latino

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people forget about all the mean and dirty moves that are not allowed during sparring, but are still part of traditional Karate.

For example, palm-strike to the chin, ko-ko strike to the neck, elbow to the face, knee to the groin - all these moves are part of Karate and sound like awesome self-defence techniques.

(Luckily, I've never had to use them on the street :) )

Hello,

Master Ken Funakoshi said on an magazine that Karate have only a handfull of techniques that can be applied to every situation .

Have you ever used your karate on a self defense situation or street fight?

I don't do Goju, so am not familiar with who Master Ken Funakoshi is. But I'd say that if the martial art you're practicing isn't good for a self defense situation, then you'd be just as well off taking ballet, square dancing or underwater basket weaving for exercise. Try aerobics or jogging, then at least you should be able to outrun most attackers. :roll:

And yes, I've used my karate about 5-6 times I think in a real self defense situation with posative results. Reverse punch, backfist, front snap kick, double palm heel strike, and tuite (joint lock)..they all worked well.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I don't do Goju, so am not familiar with who Master Ken Funakoshi is.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I presume that you do not do Shotokan either as Maste Kenneth Funakoshi is a world reknown (atleast I thought so) Shotokan karateka. I believe that he is a direct decendant of Gichin Funakoshi, a nephew or something.

Sorry to mock you Shorinryu sensei but it did make me snigger :D

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

I presume that you do not do Shotokan either as Maste Kenneth Funakoshi is a world reknown (atleast I thought so) Shotokan karateka. I believe that he is a direct decendant of Gichin Funakoshi, a nephew or something.

Sorry to mock you Shorinryu sensei but it did make me snigger :D

Nope, I don't do Goju-ryu...nor Shotokan. I'll give you a couple of hints.

1. It's Okinawan.

2. It's the 2nd oldest form of Okinawan karate..behind Okinawan Te (as far as I know anyway).

3. (Correct me if I'm wrong here) I believe that Goju and Shotokan and Isshinryu, and a whole bunch of other systems, as based on it.

4. I believe that Gichin Funakoshi was a practioner or this system when he went to Japan...(yes/no?)

And if you still haven't figured it out...look at my name again. :roll:

Signed respectfully,

Shorinryu[b/] Sensei :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Shorinryu Sensei is correct. Shotokan was founded by Funakoshi Gichin, but Funakoshi changed the Shorin Ryu techniques he was trained in to be used in the school system on mainland Japan. You could say he watered the techniques ( I do. ) Anyway Shotokan was designed to be the forerunner of today's sport karate. Goju Ryu like Shorin Ryu was founded from one of the 3 main offshoots of Okinawa Te. From Okinawa Te you got; Shuri Te, Naha Te and Tomari Te ( although Tomari Te was not as well known as the previous two). Shorin Ryu is from the Shuri Te lineage. Goju Ryu is from the Naha Te lineage. Shuri Te is more powerful and hard technique. Goju Ryu is more soft and flowing technique as Naha Te reflected more of the Chinese influence than Shuri Te. Goju Ryu, however, is more than adequate for your self defense needs. First and foremost you have to understand what the techniques you know can and were supposed to be actually used for. We've lost sight of a great deal of this information in the West.

I hope this helps everyone with questions.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Well, he's mostly known inside USA. He's not a big name in Europe - or in Japan.

However, according to an interview with Kenneth Funakoshi, he has told that he's not a relative to Gichin Funakoshi.

Funakoshi studied Anko Itosu's and Anko Azato's Shorin-Ryu in prior to moving to Japan and beginning Shotokan. Shotokan is a name of his training hall - "school of waving pines" - and he didn't name his karate at first. He just did teach the Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu that he had learned in Okinawa.

Shorin-Ryu is from Shuri-te and Tomari-te lineage. Most Shorin-Ryu substyles have kata from both of these city styles. It must be remembered, also, that Shuri, Tomari and Naha are located very near to each other and the old masters went around, studying arts from different regions and teachers. So, it's really hard to say whether Shuri-te, Tomari-te and Naha-te have ever existed in "pure" forms. Naha-te has a slight change for that, though - it was mainly brought from China rather recently (in karate time scale).

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

what do you mean by 'breathing hand'?

"Life is a journey, not a destination"

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do"