• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long does it take to toughen up the legs?

I was wondering, in relation to Muay Thai, how long does it take to toughen up your legs to take all those kicks to the thighs? I know in Thailand they start young, they have to be tough. But how long would it take an adult like me, and how would I go about doing it?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i would say that its a personal thing. a lot to with body type, bone structure general health etc.

you couldnt put a set time on it.

Now you use head for something other than target.

So, what do you do to toughen them? Just take some leg kicks, or do you have someone pound on you a little?

What do you do for the shins as well? I have done some shin conditioning in the past, just kicking hard objects, but nothing in a long while.

I don't do anything special for my legs other than absorb kicks. drilling, sparring, etc. same with my shins. All I do is spar and kick bags and pads.

So, the conditioning just comes through the training process? I wondered if it was that, or if there were conditioning drills. So when you first started, did you get your legs really frogged up, making it tough to walk?

yup. I've even fractured my shin. And fought with the same fractured shin. Ideally, you don't want that to happen, obviously. the ideal way is to not get bruised up at all, because when you do, you now have to go lighter until you heal, setting yourself back.

Not to mention, injured areas have a tendency to get reinjured frequently. Just ask my shins.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu