• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Did a demo solo today

I did my second demo where I was in charge ever today, and I did it essentially solo. It went pretty well. I gave some history, called up some volunteers and taught them how to punch or kick or do a block set, showed some joint locks on volunteers, threw my sai and bo around a bit, did some fancy wushu stuff, and then it was over.

Anybody have some demo suggestions that I could use? I'm not quite sure how I feel about how it went, but I'm always looking to improve.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you did a good job. You covered lots of stuff, showing your range of coverage as far as arts go. One suggestion is to get a guinea pig, and have him to demonstrate self-defense. Toss him around on a mat a little, people dig that.

sweet, who were you demoing to?

my jujitsu club at uni does demos now and then, usually to the freshers to get them come train with us. we usually have a few guys doing fancy throws and kicks, and that aikido style randori stuff. then they do a few moves with kobudo weapons (everyone digs kobudo weapons). the only thing i've personally done in a demo is run at one of the black belts and get thrown lol :)

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I hear you, alsey. I am usually the guy getting thrown around. I do a good slap when I get tossed, so it makes it sound like the I am really getting wheeled. It's cool.

I have a couple tips:

1. Always make sure the demo fits the audience.

2. The more you get the audience involved, the better.

3. Your demo should have an overall theme that is dicernable by the end of the demo.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I had the opportunity to participate in a demo once, the instructor at the time was a Sandan and it was at a school. He did a lot of the same things as well. Here are some of the differences:

1. Before he went up & physically demonstrated his own techniques, he chatted about lower belts & beginner issues.

2. Had the beginners (myself at that time) do some kihon & a kata. We performed Heian Nidan (Pinan Nidan).

3. We then performed bunkai from 4 moves in that kata.

4. He did another little blurb about intermediate & brown belt levels...he repeated the demo in the same vein. But I think they used Bassai Dai.

Afterward we did some throws, which went over really well. I was paired up with someone half my size, but a purple belt. I honestly think that when I was thrown that was when most of the kids decided to do it. I managed to land properly but I was still a little shook up.

Next the two brown belts did some sparring, and then he did his own thing. The next week we had thirty new applicants and 20 stayed for a while...12 stayed until about green belt when I paused my own training. Of those 12 I'm not sure who stuck with it though.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I was demoing to the kids at my dad's school. K-5, and then 6-8.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've participated in many of my instructor's demos, before I grew from the cute little kid to the kid that you're shocked at how good he is to where I am now, which is not cute, not suprising, but just tall and scary. I don't do them much anymore. :D

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Another good idea is to have some information pamphlets with class times, etc. listed on them to hand out after you demo. Helps lead them in.