• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

competition-kata

Heva

hey, if you saw my other post, you will know that i have just returned to karate after a few years. well i have a competition coming up. i am still undecided which kata i am going to do, pinan nidan or pinan shodan. i remember pinan nidan the most and it is my best kata at the moment. but i am a green belt and i think it would look better if i done pinan shodan, as i have time to polish it up for the competition. what does everyone think?

cheers,

heva

*TheUndecided*

~Chojinkai Kid~

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you Pinan's are anything like ours, I would suggest Nidan because it has more kicks in it. Our Pinan Shodan only has one kick in it. The punch kick under in Nidan is a good technique.

Pinan's are kind of short for competition though, do you know any longer kata's that use both hand and foot techniques?

Whatever kata you decide to do, take it apart, break it down, and make sure you feel confident with it. If you have good technique, then you should be able to take either one. Just make sure you have the intracies of it down.

Good luck to you!

thanks for all the advice everyone....and to rick, i don't know any longer katas, your katas must be different to ours because our pinan nidan doesn't have any kicks in it.

cheers, heva

*TheUndecided*

~Chojinkai Kid~

thanks for all the advice everyone....and to rick, i don't know any longer katas, your katas must be different to ours because our pinan nidan doesn't have any kicks in it.

cheers, heva

No you know what.....after thinking about it, I goober'd that up.....its Pinan Shodan that has the punch, kick under on the backside....duh!

Nidan has forward hand punches going back.

I was going to suggest that you go with a kata that is comensurate with your rank, but since all rank/kata may differ from system to system, I would say that if you are to perform a kata that is below your current rank that you are technically sound in performing said kata.

It has been my experience here, at least in traditonal tournaments, that judges want to see you perform a kata equal to your rank. Just my 2cents :)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

For us it doesn't much matter which kata you select so long as you do it the best you can. Our judges would much rather see a perfect Heian Nidan than a mediocre Heian Godan.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu