• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Those "special" students that we all have...

I began telling her to just relax, and she says "....ya, ya, I know, its a "learning experience"..." and went on. So I told her, "where do you think you would be if no one took the time to do orientation for you?"

quote]

Exactly.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had some success with finding out what other interests the student has & relate it back into the movement explanation. It can get kind of creative when the only other hobby is video games.

I teach in Japan so there are probably things I do that would not be appropriate in the US (such as whacking kids that get out of line - in full view and with the permission of their parent(s)). Also, I teach them patience through the use of seiza (all of my students, mostly elementary school age) can sit quietly for at least 30 minutes without changing position. Most of the older ones can sit for an hour with no problem.

As for the right/left problem, I think it is important to face in the same direction as the student when teaching those with this problem. I've taught many kids with this problem and most of them will get the right direction to move if they are facing the same direction as the model (instructor). This may help.

As for having kids that don't want to train, I explain to them before they join that if they don't want to be here then they shouldn't. We also have a no-tuition "trial period" during which they have to master the basics of seiza and ochitsuki as well as basic stances and movements. This lasts for a month or two, after which the student fills in an application form in front of everyone. The student is allowed to wear a dogi only after being "accepted" (this removes what would be a needless expense for the parents if the child decides that karate is not for him/her). Perhaps because of this trial period we have a low-drop out rate for students that pass through it.

I teach in Japan so there are probably things I do that would not be appropriate in the US (such as whacking kids that get out of line - in full view and with the permission of their parent(s)). Also, I teach them patience through the use of seiza (all of my students, mostly elementary school age) can sit quietly for at least 30 minutes without changing position. Most of the older ones can sit for an hour with no problem.

As for the right/left problem, I think it is important to face in the same direction as the student when teaching those with this problem. I've taught many kids with this problem and most of them will get the right direction to move if they are facing the same direction as the model (instructor). This may help.

As for having kids that don't want to train, I explain to them before they join that if they don't want to be here then they shouldn't. We also have a no-tuition "trial period" during which they have to master the basics of seiza and ochitsuki as well as basic stances and movements. This lasts for a month or two, after which the student fills in an application form in front of everyone. The student is allowed to wear a dogi only after being "accepted" (this removes what would be a needless expense for the parents if the child decides that karate is not for him/her). Perhaps because of this trial period we have a low-drop out rate for students that pass through it.

That is a fantastis method. I will use that when I run a dojo.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 2 months later...

I have that. i have a few students that sometimes, i feel like dropkicking them, johnny wilkinson style, out of the window because they test my patience so much but i stick at them.

Alot of parents send their children to my class because they want them to have discipline, if i send them back to the parents saying i won't teach them cos they're not disciplined enough, isn't that my failing.

I also reckon that its the real nightmare children that give the most rewards at the end. I like a challenge and i see them as my challenge.

I've been trying to think up ways to instill a little more discipline in my more difficult students and have been watching 'Supernanny', on channel 4 for some idea's. I've not tried it yet, but the woman in the program, raves about her 'naughty step'. Would a naughty stance work? Set the rules out, make sure all the children know the bounderies, what they can and can't do, and if they cross it, they go in the naughty stance for two minutes. Maybe shiko dachi cos it's painful. What do you think?? If it works on the telly, surely it must be right :-?

Lol. I think even if you made a "naughty corner" in the dojo, it would work. And in this "naught corner", the child must face the corner and stand in kiba-dachi (which is at least as bad as shiko-dachi) for the amount of mintues equal to half their age. 6 yrs=3 minutes, 10 yrs=5 minutes, etc. The reason I suggest a corner is because if they're just off to the side, they can still see, watch, and possibly talk with friends. Now, a corner is boring. Corners don't talk (in my experience), they're very plain, and to be stuck in stance for a set amount of minutes in the corner...I think that would be effective.

Now, as for the cute little brats in the school...I agree. I'd rather work with the kids that have no talent whatsoever, no knowledge of left and right, and no comprehension of forward and backward (which can be lacking, believe it or not...), then deal with those little brats that feel the desire to make your teaching experience hell.

For example, we have one little boy in our dojo now who seems to be almost incapable of getting things. He's very closed off, he's very quiet, he doesn't know his left from his right, and he's still very young, so he has a lot of problems. The kid is finally starting to get it, now. He still doesn't know left from right, but he can do the techniques after trying. And I might add that when he does get them, he does them extremely well for someone of his age and rank.

Now, several months back, we had a student who was one of those wild little hellions you never want to see. The boy ran around screaming that no girl (me) could tell him what to do, and neither could my friend (a guy, but still). As far as he was concerned, we weren't his mommy and daddy, nor were we black belts. So, the brat ran around screaming, yelling, falling over people and pushing over others, until my friend picked him up and dragged him pretty much kicking and screaming to our Sensei's office. That boy left after one month. Thank God.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

I also reckon that its the real nightmare children that give the most rewards at the end. I like a challenge and i see them as my challenge.

This is just about the attitude you have to have when it comes to teaching many kids. Most kids are a challenge, in some form or another.

How do you guys deal with that student that just doesn't get it? You know the one. You say, "Step forward with your other foot," and they move their hand to a different block position. You say, "Other hand," and they step back.

Or their balance makes you wonder if they have gravity attacks or something...

Or - my personal favorite - the ones who don't want to be there, but their parents make them, so they make your life a living h**l while you're teaching them.

I try to regard them just as I do the other students, but it's so hard...

Your thoughts?

I found your discription very funny, but spot on.

i have a couple of students like that in my class. i think they are sent to us from above to test us if not just to wake us up a little and face reality... LOL

• 2 weeks later...

these are my favorite students, becuase it is such a challenge to teach them,

1.) kids that have a hard time understanding, yes it will take some one on one attention,but kneel down and get on there level and tell them and be very clear, that helps alot.

2.) kids that don't want to be there...give them an expectation to live up to, infront of the whole class, tell that child they have awesome kicks or they pay the best attention, kids love recognition. and pitch to them just as you would anyother kid in the class.

there is a book that will help with all this, its Dale Carnigies, "how to win friends and influence people" and let me tell you, if you read that book and embrace all the techniques it tells you, you could be a master of human relations

-scad

nomatter what it be, will power and heart produces great things

Lol. I think even if you made a "naughty corner" in the dojo, it would work. And in this "naught corner", the child must face the corner and stand in kiba-dachi (which is at least as bad as shiko-dachi) for the amount of mintues equal to half their age. 6 yrs=3 minutes, 10 yrs=5 minutes, etc. The reason I suggest a corner is because if they're just off to the side, they can still see, watch, and possibly talk with friends. Now, a corner is boring. Corners don't talk (in my experience), they're very plain, and to be stuck in stance for a set amount of minutes in the corner...I think that would be effective.

Absolutely! That's a very effective way of disciplining kids. Instead of giving them attention and excitement, give them boredom. They should soon learn that attention is more fun.