• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Those "special" students that we all have...

from the point of view of a student, training with someone that doesnt want to be there, plays around all the time etc, you may feel frustrated cos your time is more valuable, but i also feel frustrated because im paying for this tuition and the majority of the time is spent on these trouble makers.

the ones that are trying but still getting it wrong, they are not so bad, because they want to do well, 1 of 2 things will happen. they will suddenly "get it" where everything will fall in to place and they will put the right foor forward and do the correct block (they may not do it well, but they will do the right one) or 2, they will get fed up and leave.

fortunately at my school, the one that i felt was the worst time waster (who actually fell in to both categories at the same time), no longer comes to the school, and i feel that the class has benifited from it. we do have some juniors that muck around from time to time, but not so much as to disrupt the whole class, and they can generally be brought back on track easily.

Now you use head for something other than target.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been lucky to not have someone who was disruptive. As for someone who needs special attention because they are honestly finding it challenging that's where you definitely just have to be patient. If they keep at it, they'll get it.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I really don't like the students who don't want to be there. I'd take 10 that are having diffuculty and trying hard over 1 that doesn't want to be there,

It makes me feel very disrespected as an instructor. I would talk to him or his parents about it.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

I really don't like the students who don't want to be there. I'd take 10 that are having diffuculty and trying hard over 1 that doesn't want to be there,

It makes me feel very disrespected as an instructor. I would talk to him or his parents about it.

You hit the nail on the head here. Give me 0 talent with 100% drive over 100% talent with no drive any day of the week.

For kids that aren't getting it, it opens up a good opportunity for older students(not necessarily just sempais) to help out. As I progressed in tai chi, my instructor began to rely more and more on my assistance during classes.

At first I resented it as it took time out of my studing with the advanced group to have to help with the beginner group. I kind of felt like he was sluffing some of his work onto me, but eventually my view began to shift. By helping students that were having problems, I was learning quite a bit about some of the starting forms, was beginning to better articulate instructions, and felt a sense of accomplishment when they started to get it. I realized that it was actually part of my responsibility as a senior student to help out when it was needed.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that both students benifit when one helps the other. It also allows you to move through the lessons more efficiently as the whole class doesn't have to be held up while you work with one student. It also prepares them for when they do become a senior student to help out.

As for the student that doesn't want to be there, I've never had to deal with that issue so I'd probably not be much help there. My sugguestions would follow what most everyone else has already said.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

thats a good point. it will help out the student having the problem and also assist those students that want to learn how to teach.

Now you use head for something other than target.

One of the best ways to learn new things about yourself is to teach. Although, I don't recommend throwing someone in cold to their first teaching experience. I like to hang out, and help them out. It helps to build their confidence with it as well.

It is amazing when you teach how you have to be connected to every part of every move you do, including hip placement, hand placement, target, path of travel, chamber, focus, and all of the little things that you have done for years without even thinking about them.

Sometimes I get carried away, like on a rant, and want to just keep dumping more and more information on them, but I have to remember not to overload them all at one time.

For the kids that don't know their left from their right, I've had more success with telling them forward and reverse. Front hand or leg and back hand or leg. They still get confused sometimes, but its easier to tell them which one to throw.

As for the students that try really hard and have trouble. Without challenges us instructors would remain stagnant. They are good for us, however frustrating..

Very nicely put, Rathe. Today, one of the 1st dans was complaining about a kid we are doing orientation for, because he is having trouble bringing it all together. She was so frustrated, and saying he was difficult.

I began telling her to just relax, and she says "....ya, ya, I know, its a "learning experience"..." and went on. So I told her, "where do you think you would be if no one took the time to do orientation for you?"

I think she is still thinking about that one.