• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Those "special" students that we all have...

How do you guys deal with that student that just doesn't get it? You know the one. You say, "Step forward with your other foot," and they move their hand to a different block position. You say, "Other hand," and they step back.

Or their balance makes you wonder if they have gravity attacks or something...

Or - my personal favorite - the ones who don't want to be there, but their parents make them, so they make your life a living h**l while you're teaching them.

I try to regard them just as I do the other students, but it's so hard...

Your thoughts?

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, it is VERY HARD!!!

I know how you feel.

I think those scenarios fit in to two completely different categories and I handle them as such.

The first couple fit into the ones that want to do well, but can't. The main thing with these peope is patience. This is very hard to deal with because you know they are trying their hardest, but just not getting there.

Make sure you set them some short term goals and praise them just as much as you would with the longer term goals of others.

Chances are, most of these won't stick it out, but stand by them anyway and remember that it's effort that counts most.

The second category are those that don't want to be there. This is very different. Point blank, if they don't want to be there and the parents are making them, I will discuss with the parents. If the parents disagree, and say they want to be there, I monitor them for a while and see how they go.

If they don't enjoy it still or their parents agree they are telling them to be there, I try and find out more information. Try and find out why they are there and what they are getting out of it. Sometimes, it's for their own good.

Failing all that, I blankly refuse to teach them. I won't have students that don't want to be there and are not getting anything out of it.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

For the ones who don't want to be there, you have to try to make it fun for them. Make it a game, and they will take to it. But with both, just be patient, and take your time. If they do one little thing right, praise them for it. The reniforcement will help.

Remember, being able to help these little guys succeed is what makes a good instructor. I always say anyone can teach someone who is talented.

For the ones whoo don't want to be there, I pretty much agree with Jiffy although perhaps instead of flat out kicking them outof class you can instead become stricter and stricter with them. That's what our head instructor did with a couple of kids. After a while they usually drop out.

For the ones that just have a hard time getting it but seem to be motivated - just keep telling yourself that those are the ones who benefit the most from good martial arts training. They are the kids who typically do not have much opportunity to be winners at anything because the have such a hard time getting it. Your class becomes the environment that nurtures them and gives them encouragement to keep trying until they succeed. So keep your standards high and be firm about doing it right, but be positive and encouraging at the same time. My father-in-law's finest teenage black belt was one of those "total disaster" students for a long while after he started, but was a totally different student when he reached shodan some ten years later.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

Some interesting views, here. I like what I see. I know I need to be patient - and I have a feeling I was borderline hopeless when I started.

I guess you're right - those really do fit two completely different categories. In terms of kids that actually don't want to be there, I teach this one kid who only does private lessons, once a week, and never practices, and I kind of feel like screaming at nobody in particular, "MY TIME IS MORE VALUABLE THAN THIS!!"

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

How about a kid who doesn't know his left from right, plays all the time, doesn't pay attention and has a parent who wants his kid promoted to the next belt? (true situation)

Well, you inform the parent that the child will advance when you feel that he/she is ready. As for the left/right, and not paying attention: left and right will come with drills. I like to take to square pads, one red and one black, and designate a side to each (red is left/black is right). Hold them behind your back, and flash one out. The child strikes with the appropriate side. Have them start with hand strikes, and then work in kicks, and then speed it up to get combos going.

As for paying attention, switch drills about every 8 to 10 minutes. This will help get around that short attention span.

Parkerlineage: As for the private lesson, assign homework for the child. Draw up a sheet on exell on the PC, with certain things to work on, like stances and kicks. Have the parent initial them as he does them. Not too much, but not too little either. Make sure you keep the parents honest about it as well. Little things like stances, and reps of kicks and strikes. See how that goes. Best of luck!

It's hard to deal with them and I think in the end they must either learn or go. We did have some kids in the dojo that didn't belong there and after some time they realised this is not their cup of tea. They can sometimes be distracting for the others and could compromise the entire lesson

Some interesting views, here. I like what I see. I know I need to be patient - and I have a feeling I was borderline hopeless when I started.

I guess you're right - those really do fit two completely different categories. In terms of kids that actually don't want to be there, I teach this one kid who only does private lessons, once a week, and never practices, and I kind of feel like screaming at nobody in particular, "MY TIME IS MORE VALUABLE THAN THIS!!"

That's exactly right. You are not a babysitter. If your students aren't geting anything out of it, try and try again, but if you really can't get them to try, it's time for the flick.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Sometimes for me, I just have the one child, that has his hands and feet do something completely different (bearing in mind that he/she have just started) and so it is hard to be patient...

I have this child in my Junior Class, she's 4th Kyu and basically she's managed to get up through the rankings without doing anything (in this Dojo, my Sensei took it over from someone else, and this happened quite recently)

So, my Sensei said to her parents " If she doesn't want to do it, then the next grading, I will fail her. "

And that was that...

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi