• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Uselessness of Kata

Tokkan

Makes you wonder why it didn't happen sooner. Guess it wasn't meant to.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all actuality, it did happen sooner; much sooner. Ancient Greek Pankration. :D :karate:

In all actuality, it did happen sooner; much sooner. Ancient Greek Pankration. :D :karate:

Yes, and there are other examples too. There are written records of fighting tournaments in ancient China (with participants having to agree beforehand that they realize that they could die in the process), and other cases of rival schools and styles putting out challenges and fighting each other. But all of these things were quite rough and brutal (like Val tudo...another example), and it is of little wonder that it's taken so long to create a mainstream area for MMA fights in a modern lawsuit society.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I predict (and hope) that the rise of MMA and real wrestling and grappling spells the demise of fake professional WWF-style wrestling.

I predict (and hope) that the rise of MMA and real wrestling and grappling spells the demise of fake professional WWF-style wrestling.

Indeed, one can only hope...but in my younger days WWF style was fun to watch

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Yep. I'll always have a fondness for Hulk Hogan. Those dudes now are so big and strong. Imagine what they do in MMA if they trained.

Yep. I'll always have a fondness for Hulk Hogan. Those dudes now are so big and strong. Imagine what they do in MMA if they trained.

I believe someone in K1 did that (who was first a football player, then 'pro wrestler', then MMA fighter).

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Any idea who? That's a pretty stellar career path. I'll bet he hurts when wakes up in the morning, though.

Hello, Kata came about because they were teaching you movement and techniques skills.

It has it purpose for excerise and practice certain techiques.

If you see real figting and how fast it moves with NO rules, anything goes.....YOU WILL NEVER SEE KATA MOVEMENTS AND TECHNIQUES USE

It was use to develop for skills as a slower level and proper way to throw techniques.

That is why sparring and kata's are different and treated differently. Each teaches you a certain level of techniques. REAL fighting is fast and furious....NO limits on tarkets or techniques or weapons use around you.

Is Kata usefull for real fighting....NO ! but for training it is useful. Traditions have a way of staying around. ........just my thoughts on this....Aloha