Tokkan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to hear my post was no complete waste of time :lol: But yeah, practicing kata is a good way to keep fit and to improve your technique without to much risk for injury. I guess we will hear your decision anytime soon:)

Cross, not training at all will get you in a bad shape wich will eventually lead to bad health and injury's, so I disagree with you there.

Tom

Train harder!

Currently: 7th kyu, yellow belt

Equally true. I am going to stay signed up for the full contact KB class I am about to start. At this point in my life, I will just set the conditions of my training. I am looking forward to learning additional KB strategy and tactics, practicing of forms, honing technique, and some medium full contact sparring. I will not fight a young 20-something who goes all-out to be the baddest dude in the class if he considers a significant injury to another classmate "the cost of training."

Others on this thread have made excellent replies about doing a variety of training including kata repetition. I like to do kata alone or along with my Shorin-Ryu renshi, on DVDs he made. It's a matter of making room in my life for it.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention: seeing a practiced martial artist practicing kata outdoors, in a park or at the beach, always makes me smile. From tai chi to violent forms, there is spiritual beauty in all of it. Harmony between nature and the body.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Cross, not training at all will get you in a bad shape wich will eventually lead to bad health and injury's, so I disagree with you there.

I agree with you. I wasnt advocating not training. Just making that point that just because something doesnt cause injury doesnt mean its of great benifit to you. I apologise for not being more clear originally.

I thought that already, but yeah, can't be sure :)

About training outdoors. It is really relaxing! Expecially when the weather is good. Downside is the people looking all weird and all. Plus, people know you practice MA and may try to chalange you. Actually, I rarely see anyone practicing outdoors. It's a pity.

Tom

Train harder!

Downside is the people looking all weird and all. Plus, people know you practice MA and may try to chalange you. Actually, I rarely see anyone practicing outdoors. It's a pity.

Agreed, I have never seen anyone practicing outdoors in a public area. I think someone doing kata in a park with normal clothes on would look kinda odd.

Hey Havoc... 100 posts, congrats. :D

Yep, I guess outdoor kata practice is not as prevalent as it used to be. Too bad.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Just practiced my three kata's ( taykioky shodan, heian shodan, heian nidan) outdoors!! Well, in my own backyard :lol: But the fresh air is really nice :)

Thanks cross!

Tom

Train harder!

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention: seeing a practiced martial artist practicing kata outdoors, in a park or at the beach, always makes me smile. From tai chi to violent forms, there is spiritual beauty in all of it. Harmony between nature and the body.

Back when I was taking Shito-Ryu, which was taught out of a local elementary school, during the summer months when the school was closed the whole dojo would basically pack up and move to a nearby park. But we would always take up the basketball and tennis courts as they were rarely used during the times we were there.

Today, at my current dojo, we often do training sessions on the weekend in the back yard of my sensei's house (not as outdoors as a park, but his house is on a corner of a busy street and he doesn't have any kind of fencing to obscure the view). I also know of a couple of dojos along the coastline of Florida that often hold sessions on the beach.

There are so many posts on this topic that I dont have time to see if I even responded. However, I could not imagine not having or practicing kata. What a great way to train. I love practicing even my most basic forms. Mentally, kata practice takes you away from alot of stress and opens your mind to better training.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.